German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Gone with the wind... Please help
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
GatorBytes
Knighted Member

Can you get recordings of wind and work from there when you are home, start ultra low, then next step a lttle louder and so forth and implementing postive reinforcement with this, like crate as safe calm place to go with the sounds while she chews on a raw meaty bone or gets brushies in the crate. Then while you arae out she may just go to it to chill...just kept open, blanket over it like a cave

Also what may help is melatonin - calming, but search cautions w/this as there may be some moderate

Valerian root is calming

Lavender (make a spray with essential oil - just 10 drops to a spray bottle) and mist around apt before you leave. or spray (diluted) on a bandana for around neck (works double duty against fleas)

Ashwagandha is a calming herb that works on the adrenal glands (adrenals regulate and excrete the stress hormones). I had tremendous results with this while my dog went through a 6 month balcony reno in a 16 story building - in fact so good he bonded so well with people who hated him.

There is also bach flower essences specifically for wind I believe.

Try one of these along with the desensitizing recordings as you want her calm place prior...just for her health.

Note: you would have to give ashawagandha about 5 days or so before starting therapy
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote