German Shepherds Forum banner

Guilt?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  kelina 
#1 ·
I am seriously looking into adding a GSD next summer ( I have summers off), however I am already feeling guilty! I have 2 dogs currently, both 10 yo old males, one GSD and one rat terrier X. The terrier is my "heart dog", although GSD are my favorite breed. He is my little baby, has slept with me ever night of his 10 years unless I was away. Of course me and Rocky are bonded as well, but he is of course more aloof and just needs to be in the same room, and will let me know when he needs attention :wild:

I know Rocky is getting up there in age, although he has always been, and for a senior still is, in spectacular health - we are seeing the first signs of slowing down including moderate arthritis.

I know this sounds silly but I am afraid they will feel left out or something when I take the new puppy places. Am I over reacting? Has anyone experienced these feelings?

#2 ·
If I can give you my honest opinion, I'd wait on getting a GSD puppy if your senior dogs are starting to slow down.

They are extremely busy and play very roughly as puppies, and I'm not sure if that would be fair to your senior dogs. How are they with other puppies?

I do think some dogs can take it a bit personally and get jealous of a new puppy, although I don't think it's age related at all.

Good luck with your decision!

#3 ·
That is definitely a consideration as well. To be 10 he is actually GREAT with pups, he has always preferred small dogs - I guess as a result of being raised with a rat terrier. Additionally, my best friend was living with my temporarily and had a 6 month old Boxer puppy. OMG I swear that dog was on meth or something! She tormented Rocky endlessly but he took it all in stride, played and roughhoused with her until he got tired, then went into his crate or I would crate her to give him a break. His health is good for a 10 year old - but yes I definitely want him to have good "golden years". I kind of thought he might enjoy a puppy, he is extremely patriarchal for some reason.

Thank you for your reply. :)

#5 ·
In 2005, we brought an 8week boxer puppy home. At the time I had Keisha GSD she was 9.5 years old and I had my terrier who was 6years old.

Keisha being the age she was plus she had hip dysplexia she wouldn't put up for a lot of the jumping boxer puppies are known for or if he got to rough for her or got on her nerves she would let him know. And when she wanted to play she sure could give him a run.

Well I can say I thanked Keisha for being there to help raise that puppy to one of the best well behaved dogs have have ever know.... he was a very respectfull dog and very melo and I think she had a lot do to with that.

So I think as long as you take time to spend with your seniors it might be the best time to bring a puppy into the pack.

#6 ·
Puppies are a lot of work, so there will be times when your older dogs are getting less attention. But since they also need almost constant supervision there will be times when you'll have to crate or otherwise contain the puppy while you get things done and can't watch as closely as you should.

When we got Halo I'd put her away while I showered, cleaned house, made dinner, and while we ate. Keefer got to be out with us during those times. We'd also take him with us when we went places, leaving her home. So although her classes and training took up a lot of time some of that was balanced with times when he had some one on one time with us.

I would mostly hesitate with seniors in the house because of the energy and activity levels of a puppy, but if your older dogs are still doing well and you think they'd be okay with that, I don't think you need to feel guilty.

Even now, Halo gets to go places with me a lot because of flyball practice most weekends, and tournaments about once a month. She also goes to dock diving events occasionally, and since Keefer loves to swim but is not interested in jumping into a pool, he stays home. My husband takes him to visit his mom in assisted living when we go to flyball, so he does get out and do things without Halo, and I take him out for hikes sometimes, just the two of us, which he loves.

#7 ·
I have always found when I have brought in a pup with an older dog the older dog started acting with new found energy. It has always worked out ok for us, good luck with your decision. :)

#8 ·
Thank you for all of your stories and experiences. I did notice that when the boxer pup came Rocky appeared a little more youthful, which is good. I guess my worry is that they have always had me to themselves so to speak, and I know the puppy will take away a lot of attention. But, they are pretty independent dogs as well. Decisions!

#9 ·
Three dogs is a lot to take care of. BUT, I think your seniors would LOVE to have a young playful little shepherd running around.

It does make them feel younger.. I had a 9.5 year old boxer who loved my friends puppy.. they played and even though she was really old, they played until she got tired :)..

I would say YESSS! GET A PUP :)

Like what everyone else said- make sure you spend quality time with each dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.