German Shepherds Forum banner

Is this good enough? Can it be better?

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Yoschi's_Pet_Human 
#1 ·
14 week old GSD.. WGSL... 37lbs

5:00AM & PM

*Two cups Royal Canin for German Shepherd Puppy...
*Handful of baby spinach leaves...
*one ounce, or so, shredded carrots...
*one boneless, skinless, chicken breast,,, cooked in dry skillet with no seasonings and diced up...
*One ounce shredded mazarrella cheese
*One tablespoon coconut oil
*One EFA pill

Stools are solid and well formed,, no signs of gastric distress

Training rewards are pieces of chicken or cheese

#2 ·
*WoW* 53 views and not one comment...lol
Any thoughts on this diet? Good, Bad, too much of something, too little of something else?
I am a health nut, myself,, I know a lot about human nutrition,, but am a complete noob to advanced Canine nutrition....

#3 · (Edited)
I personally think that you should be feeding your pup three times a day about a cup? with each meal. I don't feed Royal Canin, but I personally feel that there are much better foods out there.

If you are supplementing with leafy greens and chicken, why don't you start your pup off on a raw diet since you are already preparing some of his food for him?

I supplement my pup with Salmon Oil, Coconut oil is also good. What is an EFA pill?

I don't know, in my opinion if it's not broke, then don't fix it. If his stools are good and he's not acting hungry then you are already winning half the battle.

I'm no canine diet expert so others may chime in, but I think you're good :)

edit: I fed three times a day until Bear turned 6 months old, then went to two times a day.

#5 ·
Got it, thanks!

There's is soo much information out there on diet and nutrition, really I think you have to decide for yourself. There are numerous threads on the subject. I think it might be worth while to looks over some past threads to see if there is anything there that is of interest to you.

I know when my pup was growing he had bouts of pano, so I was concerned with Calcium and phosphorus ratios (they should be lower for pups) and also I fed lower protein because of the pano as well.

#6 ·
At this point I just want to supplement the kibble.. I believe Royal Canin knows a bit more about canine nutrition than I do. Once I educate myself more, to the point that I am confident I won't create a deficiency trying to do it myself, then I'll move more towards a DIY raw diet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.