German Shepherds Forum banner

Show brag

4K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  lhczth 
#1 ·
That topic feels odd for me to type. :eek:

This past weekend I did my very first conformation show and breed survey. I have been in the AKC ring once MANY years ago and helped double handle a dog back in 2001, but this was my first with my own dogs.

Saturday we took Elena into the 12-18 month female class. Lies handled her for me and I did my best to double handle with coaching from Kevin Nance (has the 3X Universal Sieger Vandal Mittlewest) and a little help from Jeff Lund (can't remember his kennel name). Elena actually did very well especially once I vanished during the gaiting. She was very good for the stacking, when the judge looked at the movement coming and going and just standing in the stack during the critique. She showed some good moments during the gaiting, but the show line female in the class didn't do much better and she had more training. Anyhow, Elena ended up with an SG (the highest she could receive until she is titled) and a very nice critique from the judge who felt that she should be able to V when older. I was pleased that what I have seen in her structure was the same as what the judge saw.

Deja then went into the working females class. She stacked and did some of those parts very well, but was awful during the gaiting pretty much dragging Lies around the ring. She also got a very good critique from the judge though he would have liked to see her have more substance (bone and size) or he would have given her a V rating. So, Deja got an SG1, above the other working line females and 2nd to the show line female that went V. She is 57 cm and just under 63# and I like my quick athletic and balanced girls so I am happy with her SG. Maybe if she had a showy coat it would have helped.

On Sunday we did the breed survey starting with the bitework portion. Deja rocked slamming into the helper on the attack out of the blind, fighting him during the drives, outing cleanly and transitioning into her strong guarding. Same thing on the courage test. She received a praiseworthy on her work in her survey critiques and also recommended for improvement of working ability (or something like that). During the rest of the breed survey she also received a very good critique of her structure. Parts I remember: medium size, medium strength, normal withers, good topline, good croup, good angulation in front, upper arm could be more slanted, very good angulation in rear, slight restriction of movement in front, strong drive from the rear. Good color, strong pigment, dark eyes. Correct coming and going. So Deja is now, SG1 Dejavu zu Treuen Händen IPO2 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT

See less See more
#28 ·
Thank you.

OK, photos. Neither dog looks like they have any coat.

First Miss Elena.

#29 ·
And lots and lots of Miss Deja.

Standing so the judge can evaluate her and write down his critique.

And now for the fun part. The performance portion of the survey.

#30 ·
Being 'out of coat' sure does show off their nice structure. I bet that helper enjoyed working them. Congrats to you and your BHOT girls!!

#32 ·
Nice pictures Falon.

I see that Elena is maturing and still as pretty as ever. She looks like she’s retained more black in her coat than her brother Sundance.

And Deja – you can sure see her mother in that face can’t you? I love the markings in her face coloring. Just the perfect amount if you ask me. Very pretty.

:congratulations: again from us and brother, Sundance up in Minnesota.

#33 ·
I thought Deja looked more like Nike until I saw that photo. You can see them both, but really see her mom. Then Elena looks a bit like Deja, but with a bit less cheek. It is fun looking at photos of 3 (actually 4 since I also have photos and video of Nike's mom) generataions of my girls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.