German Shepherds Forum banner

Diarrhea and "human" food

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Courtney 
#1 ·
Elsa is almost 1 year old. She apparently has a very sensitive stomach. Anything - and I mean ANYTHING - other than her kibble and water will give her massive diarrhea. This has been going on for quite some time.

For example, yesterday she got 1 egg yolk. Just one. Not spoiled or rotten. She now has explosive horrible diarrhea that smells just...words can't express how awful it smells. Same thing happened when we gave her a fish oil supplement that was for dogs. And it happens with canned dog food.

Is this common for GSDs? Every other dog I've had has been able to tolerate at least meat and eggs. Some even ate table scraps or vegetables in the garden. This is a first for me.

#2 ·
My dog couldn't tollarate anything added to kibble either, but he could when there was NO kibble (switched to raw). Kibble has all kinds of fillers used to bulk the stool which is not a perfect sign of health. Something is lacking in the dogs digestion. The gut PH could be too alkaline, or a deficency of enzymes to break down nutrients. Try feeding just real food - no kibble...a digestive enzyme would help too, ACV in the water.

#3 ·
It sounds like your dog has a lot of food sensitivities. This is sadly very common. Your best bet - and it sounds like you know this already - is to be super careful about not feeding your dog anything other than the known items that she can safely eat or drink.

#4 · (Edited)
Hi, I had this problem as well. Not explosive and massive diarrhea all the time, but I never had a solid stool with kibble and diarrhea fairly often. I switched to raw and I could not believe the difference, his digestive tract now seems to be PERFECT. If you have the ability to, try it out, hopefully it could work well, and you will never want to switch back.

#6 ·
Our Jake used to be the same way. Turned out to be SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) and after a round with the antibiotic Tylan he has been good for 2 months. We have successfully switched him to new kibble and are slowly introducing new treats without any incidents of diarrhea. Have you talked to your vet at all? Might be worth while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.