German Shepherds Forum banner

Stark nervous at the dog park

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  pets4life 
#1 ·
Stark is 9 months now and my BF and I brought him to a dog park on Saturday, we brought him to a dog park before but there were never more than maybe 4 dogs there at a time. We heard of a dog park even closer and thought we would try it out. I know some members have strong opinions on dog parks, and I honestly dont know how I feel about them. But, we really want Stark to get more interaction with a larger variety of dogs. He has really only spent time with dogs smaller than him. So, we get there and there are probably 20 to 30 dogs there ranging from chiuahahas (sp?) to great danes. He was very timid for a long time, he didnt even like it when 2 to 3 of the small dogs were crowding around him. He stayed right near our sides, eventually he got brave and played with different groups and he even played with some of the largest dogs there eventually. At some points, he had his hackles up, he never cried or growled. One lady had made the comment that "he doesnt have a mean bone in his body." But, what do I make of this behavior? I know the GSD as a breed is supposed to be confident. Is this just his puppiness needing to get used to different breeds of dogs and groups of dogs? We were really impressed, we even brought in his ball to get him to play and when other dogs came to play with his ball he never once got upset/ tried to guard it. Weve tried really hard to not make him feel like he needs to guard anything. Overall, I feel like it was a positive experience. He met a lot of dogs, eventually he did have a good time and play, but was still cautious. So, what do I make of this experience?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
yes hes young doesnt have experience it will change as long as his experience is good hes 9 months he wont mature for a couple of years

dont let him get picked on

This sweet side usually never lasts as he gets older and matures he will want to take over the park not always but a lot of times he will just be too rough/annoying for the dog park

#3 ·
Take him a few more times if you want to and see how he does. See if that period of timid behavior decreases over the next couple of visits. The hackles can be due to excitement, its an involuntary reaction like goose bumps are on us (look up piloerection). You have to build their confidence by exposing them to new things, other animals and people too.

#4 ·
I've been taking my 1 yo puppy for a few months. He really enjoys it right now, but he was cautious at first. I leave when there's too many dogs there, like more than 6, lol! It's just a tiny enclosure, and I want to keep an eye on everyone's dogs. I know when he matures he might not be suitable for the dog park, but for now he's having fun.

#5 ·
Stark is 9 months now and my BF and I brought him to a dog park on Saturday, we brought him to a dog park before but there were never more than maybe 4 dogs there at a time. We heard of a dog park even closer and thought we would try it out. I know some members have strong opinions on dog parks, and I honestly dont know how I feel about them. But, we really want Stark to get more interaction with a larger variety of dogs. He has really only spent time with dogs smaller than him. So, we get there and there are probably 20 to 30 dogs there ranging from chiuahahas (sp?) to great danes. He was very timid for a long time, he didnt even like it when 2 to 3 of the small dogs were crowding around him. He stayed right near our sides, eventually he got brave and played with different groups and he even played with some of the largest dogs there eventually. At some points, he had his hackles up, he never cried or growled. One lady had made the comment that "he doesnt have a mean bone in his body." But, what do I make of this behavior? I know the GSD as a breed is supposed to be confident. Is this just his puppiness needing to get used to different breeds of dogs and groups of dogs? We were really impressed, we even brought in his ball to get him to play and when other dogs came to play with his ball he never once got upset/ tried to guard it. Weve tried really hard to not make him feel like he needs to guard anything. Overall, I feel like it was a positive experience. He met a lot of dogs, eventually he did have a good time and play, but was still cautious. So, what do I make of this experience?

I personally don't like dog parks, because of some of the owners that you often encounter there. But as long as it is positive go for it. My now 5yo male was never really a good candidate for a DP dog. He was (and is) of the opinion that he is in charge of all the other dogs, and he has generally felt that way since he started to mature around about 15 mo.

I would really reconsider bringing his toy into the park - your dog might share nice but not all dogs do and one may decide hat the toy is his/hers!

#7 · (Edited)
dont take his toys into the park thats just asking for trouble

my bitch also might share but if a dog thinks that the stick is theirs and doesnt wanna share she will give them a harsh scary lesson i dont take my female to parks at all now just off leash walks where dogs are allowed to be let free in like 25 acres like that but not gaited dog parks

if i do pass other dogs my dog is usually just interested in me now with focus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.