German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Bear saw a Bear!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bear GSD
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
Kyleigh, you're joking, right?

If your dog will recall, and is off-leash, then you call him immediately back and stand your ground, or back slowly away, IF the bear isn't moving. If the bear begins to move, stay still. Do not talk or move. If the bear starts to charge you, most of the time they're bluffing, and you can try to bluff back, but this is asking for trouble.

The best solution is to get and CARRY bear spray. If the bear begins to move towards you, use the bear spray.

If the dog isn't reliable on recall, use a long line. The dog will lose the battle. Bears can run at speeds of 35 mph, and will outsprint even a dog.
I use a long line on hikes because Bear is not reliable on recall, but what should I do if the Bear starts to charge me and my dog? Do I release the dog and take my chances or do I still hold my ground? I would think that at some point if the Bear is threatening us, Bear (mine) will start to bark and fuss.
Also does this also apply to mountain lions, because they are every bit as prevalent in my area as well. Does Bear spray work on mountain lions too?

I guess I'm going to have to get some bear spray and be very careful with my surroundings.