German Shepherds Forum banner

White GSD issues

6K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Whiteshepherds 
#1 ·
Hi all, I'm new to the site, and this would be my first post... I have a 4 year old female White German Shepherd. As far as I can remember, she has had pink skin, but all the information I have found states that white Shepherds should have dark skin.

The problem we're having is, she sheds like a devil, much more than normal shedding. When I brush her, which is often, it seems to grow as fast as I can brush it... I can brush the same spot for ever, and the fur just keeps coming. My vet said she is probably allergic to something. So, first we got rid of the cedar chip dog bed.. no change. I was told some dogs are allergic to chicken, so I've tried many dog foods without chicken products. I just switched her food a couple weeks ago now to Orijen 6 fish blend. It hasn't made a difference yet, but if it doesn't, I'm running out of ideas. The only other thing I can think of, is the tap water that she gets in her dish might be the problem?? Any one ever had this as a problem??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The vet in the town I live in I feel is not the greatest.

Thank you,

MM

See less See more
#5 ·
Thank you for the reply... just looking at the link you posted, the only symptom out of all of them that she has, would be the hair loss. She is most definitely not lacking in the energy department, not aggressive in any way, and not gaining weight. She's a thin dog, as are a few of her 11 siblings.

I will check with the local vet this week and see about some bloodwork.

MM

#7 ·
Is she a coated white GSD or a shorter coat? Our Stock Long Coat White GSD is a major non-stop shedder. It's hard for us to tell when she is blowing her coat...it's just a constant shed-a-thon. I can brush her everyday and get a huge amount of hair.

I think it seems like she sheds so much because of the long hair and the many different kinds of hair that she has.

#8 ·
:)Glad you read it. Keep in mind, the article notes gray area....soemwhere between hypothyroid and not but heading to. When in this area, natural suppliments like kelp can be added to the diet (contains Iodine).

Reg. T4 blood work will only show a thyroid shut down. Check the links (in blue) from that link as well to read up on adrenal disorders - namely cushings...prevention is key.

Let us know what you find

#9 ·
Does she have hair loss or just excessive shedding because those are two totally different things. If it's just massive shedding, well...Some dogs shed more than others. Not sure if you've ever had a German Shepherd before or not but they're nicknamed "German Shedders" for a reason. Most will shed a decent size pile, especially when blowing coat.

As for the skin, could you post pictures? If she's always had pink skin and never any problems (ie. rashes) then it's probably normal pigment for her.

#10 · (Edited)
Yeah, she's always had pink skin (as far as I can remember) But no rashes, dandruff, and she's never scratching or gnawing anywhere. She seems healthy other than the shedding. I don't see any bald spots, and i don't think I would call it excessive hair loss. She did have worms a couple months ago, so we treated her for that. Her scat looks healthy now.

I grew up with a shepherd, and don't remember anywhere near the shedding I have to deal with now. She always has been a shed demon, but it seems to be getting really bad right now, and it's getting in to winter here with colder temperatures, so she shouldn't be blowing her coat.

MM

#16 ·
I grew up with a shepherd, and don't remember anywhere near the shedding I have to deal with now. She always has been a shed demon, but it seems to be getting really bad right now, and it's getting in to winter here with colder temperatures, so she shouldn't be blowing her coat.

:) Our male, also white, is blowing his coat right now. I think I've combed out another dog in the last few days and he's still shedding. Annie (dog in avatar) blew her coat back in September.

Honestly if she isn't itching and it isn't getting worse (the thinning areas) I'd guess there's nothing unusual going on but yes, go take a look at the dam and other littermates.
It's not uncommon for the whites to have pink skin on their sides and underbelly. Usually you'll see the darker pigment on their muzzles, feet/legs and sometimes on the outer edges of the inner ear, sometimes in the groin area. In any case, the pink skin isn't an indication of allergies.

I've never had a standard colored GSD so have no idea if the whites shed more but they definitely do shed A LOT!

#13 ·
I don't see hot spots. GSD's do shed A LOT...the dog is 4 yrs. and seems to be shedding more then usual.

That could be an early warning sign that there is a hormonal imbalance going on. I don't know if it is normal to have dark skin in a white shep. But pink skin turning black is a sign of Thyroid issues, so maybe opposite is true, IDK.

Could also be a reaction to being dewormed, side effect of drugs...or the side effect from drugs causing hormonal imbalance therefore causing hair loss?

Any vaccines given recently, last couple three months?

#14 · (Edited)
No recent vaccines... A few articles that I read mentioned that white Shepherds should have dark skin, that's why I'm under the impression that she maybe is allergic to something, or has skin issues. If the pink skin is normal for them, it could be just me. One thing I haven't mentioned is that her outer coat is a little coarse, maybe not as soft as it should be?? .. I know this is hard to explain over words on a forum, but I really don't think my town has the best vet, so I'm reaching out for any information at all :)

Her mother, and one of her siblings lives close to my house, so I think maybe I'll swing by there and see what their skin, and coats are like... maybe see what they are fed for a diet as well.

#15 ·
[/IMG]

Had a dog with minor ones like this. All you would see is the shed. Non stop. Areas would thin to the point that she might as well be bald. Took 3 vets and way to much money to find out it was mild hot spots. Nothing major. Drove me up the wall. With the mild version you don't see alot of skin abrasions but you can sometimes see a good deal of itching.

#21 ·
She's never seemed to be itchy at all. She's got dark skin on her muzzle, here's a pic of her in the water with a soggy nose..
So sweet!
It's always nice to get opinions on the internet but never a good substitute for real life help. If it was me I'd have the breeder look at her seeing how she's close by. See what she thinks and take it from there. Better safe than sorry as they say.
If the breeder says she's fine you can always take her to a groomer, she'll probably come back 5lbs lighter. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.