German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Needing help please advice.
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
GSDlover09

Default Needing help please advice.

So I was just on Craigslist three days ago there was a post about a man giving a German Shepard away for free to a good home. Sounds perfect right?

Upon talking to this person, he begun to tell me that she lived with a lady for 9 years and she couldn't "afford" her anymore she wanted her to go to a home where she was taken care of. "She was a house dog", he was told. He got her for the main purpose of breeding her. She's 9-10 I thought to myself. I didn't think when dogs are that old that they "could" breed still. Am I wrong?

He (the man who posted tosha the German Shepard) on Craigslist, put her in a kennel outside with two other GSD's. Each having their own kennel with a house.

Granted he was building a kennel that looks like a pole barn. Seemed to she'd have a great life to a point. I think all dogs no matter how many you have need human contact and love. She lacked this.

I got there she was EXTREMELY timid and scared. She kept running back into her dog house that he built her. She looked as if she was going to bite out of fear. She didn't though. My child was present and she wasn't mean to her at all so I narrowed it down to maybe she's just super timid she'll warm up us.

I asked him if he had any extra food so I could ween her off that to our high quality dog food we have our pembroke welsh Corgis on. His response was, "No I've been hunting and giving her raw deer meat." A lot of Michigan's deer had been dying due to contamination of some kind. So immediately I was shocked and thought that's not good. So he offered me some and I refused.

I thought I made the drive out there seems he has no idea to properly take care of amazing dog breed so I got her out of there. I put her in the car she was nervous but settled down and laid in the back hatch of my SUV.

I got her home she was still super timid. I begun a full body check for abuse and to see her teeth and all around just check her out. No physical signs of scars or anything UNTIL I looked at her teeth. They are ground down to her roots. K9's and all front teeth. I did some research of teeth grinding maybe it was due to high stress levels of being from inside the house to going to 7 months of being outside and alone. I'm hoping no human being did this to her.

Ill get her vet attention no problem. I'm just unsure of how to get her potty trained due to being outside using the bathroom when she pleased.

I'm also unsure how to feed her. Canned food doesn't have the necessary components to keep her healthy and stay on for long term. The other day I took part can food and mixed it with mushed dog food from my supply for my dogs. She didn't take to it. I was wondering if any one had advice to how I can get her to eat. I'm unsure how sensitive her teeth are. She won't eat hard food.

I don't believe I got the full truth from this man and its very upsetting to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
GSDlover09 is offline   Reply With Quote