German Shepherds Forum banner

Heat cycle 3 mos apart?

7K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  susan.msp 
#1 ·
Hello all, I have a 4 year old female who has has two litters of puppies. The first litter was unsuccessful, she went into early labor and had 10 dead puppies, #11 was born alive and hairless and by some miracle, he lived. Our vet told us not to be discouraged and to try her again. We did and she had 6 healthy pups. Planned on having her spayed, time gets away from you and she is in heat again. Got thru the heat cycle with no pregnancy. That was three months ago, the end of July to be exact. Still plan on spaying her, thought I was still in the clear time wise, noticed today she is bleeding like she is coming in again?? Bright red, exact same as previous heats. Appetite totally normal, no signs of discomfort or lethargy. If she were a cow I would say she is short cycling and cystic, not an early true heat. Is this normal? I did a google search and read about pyometra, it isn't fitting but I really don't know. I can easily get her to the vet Monday morning, but of course it's late on Sat and that's over 24 hours away. Reading about pyometra scared me.....thoughts?? thank you and god bless

#2 ·
I dunno much about heat cycles, bleeding etc..

But we really dont know much and if someone can automatically tell whats wrong I will want them to be my vet lol.

Google, and even this is NOT accurate. I sometimes find myself doing research to see if my dogs are sick etc, and it only causes worry and chaos.

If you are seriously worried about it, wait til monday to take her to the vet. Other wise, listen to people tell you whats wrong with her, without being a vet !

Even if they are SUPER experience, it doesnt mean jack. We really are not face to face with this dog and cant tell if something is wrong.

How does she look? How about playing?

#3 ·
Oh i'm sorry, I thought I made it clear that she was totally normal. I'v lived on a farm all my life and can tell when an animal is in discomfort, and she isn't. playing normally, eating normally. Alert and bright eyed. I realize you can't diagnose my dog for me, but since there was a medical forum, and I'm sure there are experienced breeders on here, I was certain someone could tell me if it was normal to come back into heat after only 3 months ;)

#4 ·
You are fairly nonchalant about this whole process. "Got thru the heat cycle with no pregnancy." Are you planning litters or are these oopsies? It is normal to have shorter or longer cycles. How long apart were her previous heat cycles? Get a spay scheduled a month from now. Something in the books so time doesn't get away from you again ;)

#6 ·
It was an oopsie, no more puppies for me. She was really regular about cycling almost on the dot, every Jan and again in July, so this really surprised me, at first I thought she cut her foot...lol then I saw more drops of blood, took a paper towel and held it against her backside, no doubt it's coming from her and not her foot. She will def go to the vet on Monday and i will schedule her spay then.
I don't really know a whole lot about the reproductive cycle's of a dog, I understand them in cows. If one comes in early, I know it's not normal and chances are high that she has a cyst on her ovary. I wondered if it was similar in dogs, or if they really did cycle at odd times.

#7 ·
oh oh were the first two pregnancies oopsies? no, they were planned breedings. I just didn't have her spayed when i should have and I had to go thru a heat cycle and keep her separated from the other dogs, watch her when outside.. et al. I was vigilant and came thru the heat cycle with no unplanned pregnancy!

#8 ·
Usually even if they have wonky cycles, they will start to cycle normally after they have a litter. Odd that she started having irregular cycles after she whelped. How many heat cycles did she have before she was bred? Were they always 6 months apart before this? Sounds like she is coming in or could be having a split heat. Take her to the vet, get her cleared and schedule a spay. Contain her properly to make sure there are no more accidents. I have had multiple intact females in the same home when they were in heat with my intact male. I had no accidents because dogs were kept properly contained. If you have an intact animal, it is YOUR responsibility to keep it contained so you do not have accidental litters. It's irresponsible. I'm glad you are getting her spayed. Please contain her this time around.

#10 ·
I have had two litters of puppies, and neither of them were unplanned. She was bred on her 3rd heat, went into labor early and lost 10 pups. One was born alive and 70% hairless. With the help of our vet, he lived. I still have him and he is 14 mos old now. I was feeling very discouraged by the whole event, lot of time and money invested in that pregnancy and dead puppies were very unpleasant. He ( Dr. Shew ) encouraged me to try her again, I did and she had 6 healthy puppies. After that I should have had her spayed when her puppies were weaned and I didn't do it. She came into heat again and I did not want her bred so I kept her under constant watch. She has always been like clockwork with her cycles, July and January, so when I saw the signs of heat again in mid November, I was/am confused.

Is this normal for a female to do this? What is a split heat?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.