German Shepherds Forum banner

Beauty Fades; Dumb Is Forever

3K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Capone22 
#1 · (Edited)
To paraphrase Judge Judy. After Jas' puppy class today, I swung by home and got Xerxes to take them for their daily run. I go over to the Fair Grounds a lot. It has wide open spaces and usually no traffic. I can drive the car slow while they run, wrestle and play. I always respect someone elses space if they are running their dog and go to a different part of the grounds. I had them out running and playing and this total moron pulls up right next to me in the field and auto-pops his rear door on his van and lets his black lab out right in front of my dogs. He's darn lucky I have worked hard to keep these two dog and people friendly. Of course they ran right over there. I was yelling at him," Are you nuts? What is the matter with you?" He completely ignores me and keeps letting his dog run around. I was so mad I could have gone over there and kicked a dent in his van. I grabbed my two and left which was probably his intention all along, to drive me out. And if my two would have been dog aggresive? I would probably be the one who is liable. What is the matter with people? Are they born stupid or does it develop over time? GRRR :mad::mad:

#4 ·
Absolutely! Very sad. Something like this has happened when I'm out with my daughter and my dog a few times. Most recently a black lab and a man with a "chuck it" at the beach. He kept chucking it right in front of us, even though most of the beach was empty.

What ever happened to treating others as you would want to be treated yourself? We live in a society of sociopaths.

I must say I do respect assertiveness, sorry he did not respond to it.

#5 ·
that sux but you did the best thing by leaving. to stand your ground is futile, there are millions of em out there. sometimes just best to walk away.

hope you feel beter soon, you did the right thing.

altho perhaps you could have locked yr dogs up and casually walked by his car key in hand.....paint.....

#6 ·
I don't get it. Is this a leash area or off-leash area? Were your dogs leashed? Why are you driving around while they are outside? Why does it sound like your dogs are loose without proper recall training? Am I missing something here?

#12 ·
The ONLY thing I see wrong with what the other person did was not ask you if your dogs were friendly / ok to socialize ... otherwise, the way I read it is that he was doing the same thing you were doing ... on public property with your dogs off leash ...

Sorry, I don't see the reason to rant and rave ...

#13 ·
You should be flattered, all he did was assume you weren't an idiot who would run two aggressive dogs off leash in a public area. If I see someone doing that with their dogs, it is not ridiculous to think the dogs aren't aggressive.

He's not 'lucky' that you kept your dogs people and dog friendly. If you are running them off-leash in a public area in your vehicle that should be a given.

#15 ·
I guess the way I see it is it works both ways. If I can get away with running my dogs off leash (or even on) then why can't someone else? If I don't want to do it with other dogs around then it's on me to leave. Yes it would be courteous for people to ask first but I don't expect they will. I personally do not let my dogs off leash in public areas unless they are safe being off leash with strangers and other dogs.

When I was training my dogs for their ADs I would go to a large cemetery and bike my dogs on the paved road (on leash!) around the largest loop. This lady would come daily and let her lab out to run around, peeing on peoples gravestones. She would stay in her car and just drive around after her dog while it was running offleash. One time I was there biking my dog (on a 6' leash) and her dog charged over to us. My dog just ignored it and I kept on going. Her dog chased us and would not listen to her, it took her a long time to get it back under control but hey that's not my problem. If it's a public place then it's a public place. I wasn't going to ask her permission to jog my dogs on leash on the pavement. If I had a problem with her dog I would have left.

#17 ·
So...really, your mad at him doing the same thing you were doing?

#19 ·
In my case, yes, she would pull in, open the door and let the dog out, then drive around slow while the dog ran around. The dog chased me and my dog (me on my bike, my dog on a leash) but never tried to bite so I just let it chase us and she had to try to catch it :)

#21 ·
Yeah, that just seems like an all around bad idea. What happens if the dog sees something and runs away while chasing it? Or harasses someone, like in your case? I just don't see how you can have any control at all over a dog when you're driving around in your car behind it. Luckily I've never run into anyone doing that.

#20 ·
I can drive the car slow while they run, wrestle and play.
I'm sorry, I kinda got stumped on this sentence. If you are in an area that your pups are allowed off leash, why wouldn't you just walk along with them? Or if you are handicapped and can't, then couldn't you just sit and allow them to run off some steam?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.