German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Agression issues with older female
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pattyobrien3

Default Agression issues with older female

I am taking care of my parent's two german shepherds for a couple of months, and for most of their lives, the dogs have had access to 10+ acres of open plains and trees to run and play in.

This was great fun for them, to be sure, but a consequence of this is that they rarely were taken for leashed walks, and weren't very well socialized at any point throughout their lives.

Now, I'm taking care of them, and I have access to a large park next to where I live. They are actually pretty good on the leash, but whenever they see a dog, the both of them lunge and pull and bark at whatever passes by.

The male usually just follows the lead of the female, who usually instigates the barking. This has been an issue for a long time, honestly, but I've never been in a position to do anything about it.

Are there any suggestions on how to get her more used to being around other dogs? She is 11 or 12 years old (I think 11). My brother think that she is probably too old to learn good behavior, but I hope he is wrong.

I've thought about taking her to a dog park to get her used to other dogs, but I think that she would probably hurt herself or another dog (probably herself, given her age).

I thought that taking her for walks would get her more used to other dogs, but there hasn't been much of an effect so far.

Last edited by Pattyobrien3; 11-15-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Pattyobrien3 is offline   Reply With Quote