German Shepherds Forum banner

has anyone ever said something like this to you

3K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  codmaster 
#1 ·
I was walking my dog down a trail and there was this lady that was kinda being harassed by a baby mutt. She had two pugs and they were all wrestling. Anyways when she saw my sable shepherd. She said "oh great here comes a rottie. My dog was so close to her its a pure shepherd also.

I couldn't stop laughing that she thought my dog was a rottie. Has ayone ever thought something that far off or made such a silly comment? I asked the other lady again if what i heard was for real she said yes she thought my dog was a rottie and she thought my dog was going to gang up on hers with the baby mutt. I guess her dog had a bad experience with a rottie so when she saw another rottie comming (my dog) she kinda went into a panic and thought that my dog and the baby mutt might take her pugs out and eat them.

This woman was brought up in this country and was an adult.

#4 · (Edited)
children might not know what a shepherd is or what a rottie really is.

nationality well people from another country also might not be totally sure what a rottie or a shepherd is. I am not sure if they exist in every single country or not. Like I don't think everyone here would know what a Pariah dog sp? dog is but it is a common site in india. Or a new guinea singing dog.

you could tell by the way she talked her accent etc.. It doesnt take a scientist to figure it out.

#8 ·
children might not know what a shepherd is or what a rottie really is.

you could tell by the way she talked her accent etc.. It doesnt take a scientist to figure it out.

I've known dog breeds since I was about 10 and know many many adults at this point who would struggle to name 5 different breeds.

Accents don't give that much away - unless your a linguistics expert.

AND HOLY RUDE BOLD.

this is why I've always preferred animals to people.

#7 · (Edited)
her pugs were really just having a lot of fun playing with that mutt and she was telling the mutt owner that the mutt was trying to hump them or something lol And then when we walked by i recognized the owner of the small mutt. Then she made the comment and started to text her friend lol She didnt make any effort to collect her dogs or leave she just started texting friends and smoking.

yes she was doing that at the sametime and NO she was not watching her dogs at that time. lol it was just strange.

There have been people or kids that have called mine a wolf coyote or jackal also lol but she at least does kinda look like those but the whole rottie thing was just 2 funny.

ITs like me going up to a poodle and saying i dont trust great danes.

The beagle mix is funny one also.

#9 ·
Lol yeah, I think the beagle mix was the most hilarious.

A man at the dog park was watching Koda play with a white shepherd and was like, "You have a nice beagle mix there," to me. I laughed and told him she's a shepherd. He shook his head and insisted, "No. That white one is a shepherd. See your dog's saddle? That's from being a beagle mix. Don't worry though. She's still a cute dog." I just laughed again and started playing fetch with both of them. :rolleyes:

#16 ·
I had someone tell me that Wolfie was a Lab mix. LOL! He is so classic GSD it isn't funny.

#17 · (Edited)
I am always amused at these types of threads.
Do people just not understand that just because someone doesn't know every breed of dog in the world it doesn't make them an idiot??
I think it is a genuine question when someone asks what breed of dog your sable GSD is or ask me if my black GSD is a Lab cross.......not everyone is an expert on dog breeds just like not everyone is an expert on accents.....:rolleyes:

#18 ·
I have people ask if sarge is a mix. As you can plainly see in the avitar it dont get more shepherd then that...lol

Hes exactly what most people would imagine a shepherd would look like but they still ask.

#19 ·
I get great dane mix a lot, more than lab mix, their reasoning being 'because he's tall'. Yeah, my dog only inherited the height from a great dane and absolutely nothing else. That's totally likely.

I'm always nice about it though, because there's lots of breeds(well, pretty much every breed besides GSD) out there that I don't know much about that could have as many varieties in their appearance as a german shepherds do.

#25 · (Edited)
A woman once asked me if my GSD was a Collie. I think English was not her first language though so I suppose it could have been a translation error? (Nothing disparaging or assuming meant here, she just did not speak English very well so possibly the word could have been lost in translation. Oh yeah my dad is a linguistics expert, not that it matters lol...)

That was the most far off I've heard. Oh, and of course wolf or wolf dog.

#26 ·
Are you sure they were pugs? Maybe they were Daschunds...lol:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.