German Shepherds Forum banner

Do you own dogs because you don't have kids or feel lonely?

• I have children

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I don't have children

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • I am lonely thats I why I need dogs

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • I have dogs for other reasons

Votes: 51 56.0%

Is one of the reasons you have dogs is because you don't have kids or feel lonely?

6K views 53 replies 50 participants last post by  KB007 
#1 ·
A lot of times people get pets when they feel lonely. Just wanted to see if a lot of folks on this forum have children.

#6 ·
I have dogs because I love dogs. We got our first dog when I was about six or seven, and I brought another dog home shortly after we got our first. It had nothing to do with my having kids or not back then, nor does it today.

I don't have kids. I have nieces and a nephew. My dogs are not kid-substitutes.

#8 ·
I've always had dogs - when I was a kid, single, married, before kid, after kid, after kid grew up.

I used to jokingly tell my son that I would be so sad when he went off to college, that I would be forced to get a puppy. He just rolled his eyes at me. And yes, I got a GSD puppy, and then another. Boy, I showed him, lol.

#9 ·
I've had dogs all my life, though my Shepherds are my first dogs that have truly been mine. My best friend introduced me to the world of competitive obedience and conformation, which is why I got Discoe and Reba. I don't have kids yet, hopefully someday, but my dogs are not substitutes for children or friends or family. I just believe a house is not a home without pets.

#11 ·
Ever since I moved out on my own as a young adult I have been in the company of dogs. The day I can no longer have dogs will be the day I die. They are world's most amazing animals. They have never been replacements or substitutes for my children. You cannot even compare the two; dogs are animals and children are people to me.

#12 ·
I have had dogs throughout my life.....have never not had a dog.
As a child growing up we had dogs.
As a single person working I had a dog.
As a married mother of two young children......still have dogs.
They have always been there and will always be there......simple as that.:)

#14 ·
I have kids and just the one dog. We got Seven because I'm a dog person and I wanted my daughter growing up with a dog.

When I was single and childless I had 2 cats (still have one). I got them because I always wanted a cat. I'm just an animal person - fuzzy animals, not feathery or scaley ones. The cats were not to alleviate some loneliness I felt-I've always been a bit of a loner. Pets just seem to make a home more homey.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#15 ·
I've always had cats growing up, living single and married. My GSD is my baby I guess you could say he substitutes for a child as my husband and I are still in our early 20's. We also live in Germany and like to party so kids don't fit to well in our lives but our Vader does. When we do have kids he will be just as loved and cared for as before. A house is not a home without something fluffy and for legged.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#16 ·
My parents bred dogs before I was even born.
While we don't have children, I don't have dogs because of that. It's something that just comes with the family. I've always had dogs. I cannot imagine a life without dogs. It is hard enough not to have a horse but no dogs? NOPE!

#21 ·
I was raised with dogs my whole life. I couldn't imagine not having dogs. My family couldn't imagine me without any dogs:)

#22 ·
I used to be one of those "never going to have kids, my dogs are my kids, I'd give my life to save them" type of people.

Then I got married, had one kiddo and another on the way, and though we still love our dogs, they are indeed back to dog status.

#26 ·
I voted "I have dogs for other reasons".
I do not have children but that was not why I have animals. I was born into an animal loving family. Growing up my grandparents had 5 acres that we called the "farm". From a pony, ducks, chickens, pigions, several cats inside & outside and minimum of 5 dogs. At my "other" home we always had a dog and some type of small critter like hamsters.
There were only a few times in my life that because of renting that I didn't have a dog. I could not imagine not having a dog in my life.

#27 ·
Nope. We have dogs because we are animal lovers. I grew up with dogs and all other sorts of animals. That's part of life to me. Without a dog, the house seems empty and cold.

We don't have children and probably never will... however, the dogs are not here in place of that decision. They are a huge part of our life... as our "pets" and working companions, not children. This is how it will always be.... even if we DO have children.

#28 ·
I have dogs (and other animals) simply because I love having them. I call each of them my fur/feather children but they are not a substitute for children. I chose not to have children because I did not want children.

I cannot imagine not having a dog, ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.