Black & tan

Sable

Bi Color

Black & red

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
In my opinion he looks like a sable.

It's easy to tell as puppies due to the signature black stripe down the back.
My guess would be that he has some black and tan somewhere in his lineage, because he has an apparent "saddle" pattern, but he's got that sable "blend" to him, as apposed to solid/ clearly defined markings of a typical black and tan.

Here's a few photos I found on google to compare.

Sable:

Black and Tan:

#4 ·
I agree Black and Tan IMO :)

#5 ·
Could be a pattern sable, but I agree, probably a b&t.
Did you have him as a pup? Was he darker when young, then lightened up? Or opposite~sables will get darker with the adult coat.

#7 ·
Looks like a patterned sable to me too. If you know what he looked like as a young pup, you can easily determine what color he is for certain. If he had a black body and tan legs, than he is a black/tan. If he had a grayish tan body without extensive black markings he's sable.

Here's a photo showing 2 young littermates, one sable and one black/tan. It's very obvious when they are young what color they are. :)

#8 ·
Its kind of hard to tell, IMO. In the first picture, i'd definitely say he looks like a patterned sable, but then in the second he looks like a black/tan. Do you have any other pictures? One looking at him from the side would be ideal. Very handsome boy either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.