German Shepherds Forum banner

Healthy large dog breeds?

14K views 99 replies 34 participants last post by  ShatteringGlass 
#1 ·
I am trying to research different breeds although I probably won't be getting a dog for a while... I am probably not going to be getting another GSD for my next dog, but I am looking to see if there are any similar breeds that have less health problems, and have good longevity? Does anyone know of any large breeds that would fit this criteria? I have been finding a lot of the large dog breeds, the info says their lifespan is 8-10 years which seems just too short...but I love the large breeds.
Possibly something a little more outgoing than a GSD since I like to take my dogs everywhere with me (although Bianca worked out quite well for this since she didn't have so much of the 'aloof with strangers' trait of GSDs.)

#3 ·
Collies. Love them. You need to test for collie eye but mine lived to be almost 15 years old and we let him go because of hip pain. I know of others that have lived 15-17 years. I don't think this is a breed that is overbred.

Stay away from Boxers. Many health problems and 10 yrs if old. My vet referred to mine as "ancient" at 13 and is amazed with her.

What about a medium sized dog like an Aussie or Border Collie? They would probably have a longer life span.

#5 ·
I moved this to the health section in the hopes you might get some more science based or research based answers.

I am so sorry about Bianca.

I would take a look at some of the lists of congenital disorders that dogs get, by breed. Obviously you/everyone knows about cancer in Goldens. :( There are some breeds that might not have that kind of genetic burden.

CIDD - Dog Breeds List 2004 so could find more updated info perhaps - but compare the list of a Schipperke to the GSD just to get an idea of the wide differences (and of course, some things like HD aren't generally life threatening so compare apples to apples).

I think vets and vet hospitals might have some good thoughts on what they see.

I would look at less popular breeds, but also breeds that are not so inbred or bottle necked that things pop up w/great frequency (vWillebrands type things). Then the lines - there are some people on this board who could probably name what dog passed from in pedigrees (when known). I am betting you could find that in other breeds.

Mixes are awesome - but who knows. I deal with the "who knows" for the interesting temperament and behavior and hope the health holds out. So far I am at 50-50 on that (both dogs though very healthy with no issues until the end, the end for one was a few years earlier than expected).

I don't know lifespan of a Malamute - they can be same sex dog aggressive, but should be very people friendly...
Illinois Alaskan Malamute Rescue Association - Home

Some hounds are larger, friendly, happy dogs? Greater Swiss Mountain Dog? Leonberger?

Temperament is also part of health.

Good luck in your search to find a friendly, healthy dog!

#8 ·
An idea for you while you are researching dog breeds. I know that a lot of breeds are prone to cancer ... but what if ... (I don't know if you already do this, so pardon my ignorance if you do)

You only fed raw or home made, and limited vaccines to the absolute bare minimum ... it other words followed a holistic path for your dog, rather than the conventional method?

My all time favourite book is Where Natural Healing begins (www.drmarty.com) He talks a lot about how food / vaccines are killing our animals, and the future of our pets.

Using a natural diet, and 99% less vaccines, you will likely get a dog to live longer than the "average."

Just my two cents

#18 ·
I had looked into Bernese Mountain Dogs and Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs before. The Berners seem to have a lot of health problems and short lifespan, Swissies are a little longer-lived and have less health issues although since they're both giant breeds still they may have shorter lifespans.
I was thinking of a Swissie as an option (especially before I was looking for higher longevity) but they are apparently aloof and can be quite cautious/protective, not like the Berners, and I was not sure if they would be a good dog for taking everywhere.
Someone else suggested a Rottweiler but I am not sure about their health, I think cancer is fairly common with them?

You only fed raw or home made, and limited vaccines to the absolute bare minimum ... it other words followed a holistic path for your dog, rather than the conventional method?
Yes I am definitely planning to do this. I did titers and limited vaccines and fed a partial raw diet with Bianca, but I am going to be more strict on this with my future dogs. My vet is a 'traditional' vet but she also does some holistic things in her practice, and not over-vaccination and that type of thing, and also feeds raw. I've also been considering going to this holistic vet for my next dog's primary vet as she is very into that type of thing, or at the very least consulting with her. I took my previous dogs to her but only for specific health issues (physical rehab and acupuncture for my previous dogs and for Bianca I consulted with her about her cancer.)

#38 ·
I agree with this. Mixes can be the most beautiful and smartest of dogs. Sometimes the genetic diversity seems to promote better health and waters down some of the more intense traits of any one breed. I love mixes.

Someone mentioned the Samoyed. I had one. She was gorgeous and probably the sweetest dog I have ever owned. She came from a reputable breeder and champion lines. She was on the larger side of the breed standard - probably 21". Sadly, she had hip dysplasia, an Aortic stenosis and a digestive disorder. She died at the age of 3.5. I think we were just unlucky. Very sad.

#19 ·
I met two solid black giant schnauzers at Petsmart once, while Koda was going through her reactive stage. Both looked at us when she barked/snarled/lunged but they reacted by sitting down and turning to their owner for direction. I approached after handing Koda to someone else to hold her, and both wagged their tails but did not do anything until I finished speaking with the owner and was given the ok to pet them.

I also have one salt/pepper one who comes into the vet and he is a SWEET HEART. We can do anything to him and he is very stable, simply waiting calmly for us to finish. I suppose they are well-bred and well-trained.

#41 ·
Omg, just had a good laugh over this post. My mom raised various working breeds including giants. One evening our pastor stopped by for a visit. I thought I saw someone walk by the window. Stepped over to look just in time to watch one of our Giant Schnauzers bite the pastor right on his behind. He let out a girlie shriek and shot straight up in the air.

Awkward. :crazy:

#21 ·
the larger the bread the shorter the lifespan. also, having owned gsd s, which imho , are fairly easy to train, you may find some of these large "mountain dogs" trying. many have loose lips and drool quite a bit., think turner and hooch when looking at some of these breeds. i have had good success with owning an airedale. he is just a happy fun loving goofball clown. so far except for a tick bite infection, he has been totally healthy at seven years of age. like gsds though, i think there are different flavors. i also believe, mixed breeds are normally healthier than pure breads, but i will let our resident vet techs comment on this with their observations and experience. a a kid, a friend had a mixed gsd and collie which was a loyal, smart and friendly dog. seemed to learn who belonged on our block and who didn't. only barked at strangers.

#23 ·
Giant Schnauzers - look to what they were bred for, I believe (without trotting to google) it was bred to be guard dogs.
Rather like GSDs in temperament, I would think, standoffish/aloof?

I personally would look at Leonbergers but there again you're into the "giant" dogs category and shorter life spans.

#24 ·
my airedale is 24 inches at the withers and 68 lbs. close to gsd size. there is an "ozark" or something that is a larger airedale which i know nothing about. at a local dog show i was up close to a to giant alaska malmute, also hd another name attached to the front denoting larger size. seemed like a nice outgoing friendly breed.

#25 ·
even with the health issues, I will always have a german shepherd (or two) in my life.

Of course I can say I've been pretty blessed to have/had gsd's, with minimal health issues to begin with, but of course have had some astronomical vet bills at times.

I like my aussies as well, tho not 'big' dogs, mine are both 21" at the shoulders, but I have seen bigger. and tho they can have health issues as well, Mine at 12 & 13 years of age are still wild little devils, and while majority of my gsd's have lived to be 12/13 years old, I can see the difference structurally between the two. My aussies are going nowhere soon:)

Don't know if your into malinois, but there are bigger mal's around as well, a friend of mine had a male who was around 25" (showlines) just had to put him down at almost 15 years of age..

#26 ·
I'll second collies, I had a Scotch Collie Old-Time Scotch Collie Association | Reviving a near extinct breed of working dog They do not look like lassie persay, more like a longer haired smooth collie. Wonderful dog, we put her down just shy of 15 years, had cataracts, but that was her only health issue, with the exception of routine check-ups and vacs, she only cost money when she was spayed. So maybe $1,800 over the span of her life, now Ozzy or Dolly (GSD Mix and a Saint), they can do that kind of damage in a weekend ;)

#30 ·
I think and this is just based on my own research into the giants as dh is a huge fan and we will always have a Saint or Newf in our house with whatever mixed shepherd/collie thing I drag home from a rescue, that the life spans will begin to increase. The dogs being bred 10-12 years ago are much different than those being bred today. At one time size meant everything and the giants were almost ruined by it. The jokes it took them 45 minutes to circle the conformation ring, or they were winded and done half-way down, they were jokes, but a frightening reality. With well-bred dogs and breeders, breeders breeding to better the breed, to reestablish the breeds to their former glory and aptitude which was working dogs, rescue dogs, the sizes need to diminish. Many of the original Saints were lost doing rescue work, the foundation of the breed, as a result they were out-crossed to Newfs, which, while very similar have a different body, you will also find people looking to make the dogs bigger breeding to mastiffs.
We are fortunate with our Dolly, she has some issues which are rescue dog issues, she's clingy, she is tight-lipped, but we still have to wash the walls almost weekly, she gets water outside and has a heated water bowl because she will wash the floor and I don't care how much you think a GSD sheds, it is nothing to a Saint, think thick double coated GSD X 3.
I do believe though, because we do realize we are lucky with her, the next dog we will be going to a breeder who breeds for temperment, not size, who does health checks etc. I wouldn't rule out a giant or larger sized based on health, because the times are a changing, the public and breeders are becoming more educated. I mean we get the "OMG you should get her up to 200lbs" - OMG how bout we don't! She's far better at her height and weight and healthy, or she seems small for a Saint. She's top end of the height for a bitch, she also grew a bit after we got her.
The reason I say it, there are so many large and giants in rescue, they are hard to place, not everyone can deal with them. Imagine a 150lb, hairy, drooling lap dog - like the worst date you had in college everyday in your home for the rest of your life.
I believe you will see longer lifespans in these dogs.

#31 ·
Many of these dogs I don't think of as large or giant (Samoyed, ACD, BC, Aussie....).

I love Saints, Newfs, and Pyrs but can't really find the things I like about them in a smaller sized dog...

#32 ·
One breed I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Dalmatian. You might PM ShatteringGlass. I believe well bred Dalmatians are pretty health dogs, very trainable, great endurance, social dogs. There is quite a bit of info on them in this thread:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...y-dalmatian-enjoys-company-pigs-swimming.html

And besides that- look at this thread and tell me those aren't gorgeous dogs!!
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/128612-spotty-dogs.html

I do believe a I'd own a Dal if not a GSD or Border Collie...

#40 ·
I had a dalmatian years ago and she was beautiful. Very active, loved life, just a very good dog. I wouldn't mind another dalmatian.

#37 ·
What about an English shepherd? English Shepherd Club - Home
I thought about them, I looked into them a while ago. They're a little bit smaller than what I was thinking but they might be one I would consider. If not for my next dog, then in the future possibly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.