German Shepherds Forum banner

Kong Stuffing Ideas

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  breyer08 
#1 ·
I recently purchased my 3 month old GSD puppy a Kong and am wondering what other people have had success stuffing them with?

#3 ·
Peanut butter, cheeze whiz, yogurt. You can cover the small hole with peanut butter, fill the rest with applesause or low sodium chicken broth, leave the kong upside down and freeze it. Little peices of ham, chicken, roast beef. I tend to put in peanut butter, a few treats, peanut butter, a few more treats, more peanut butter then freeze it. They love it. I also find all of this much healthier than the treats they make for the kongs, the kong stuffin or the ziggies.

#6 ·
I have to stuff it a certain way to keep Kaylee busy with it, lol. I take kibble, apple slices, jerky for dogs, cheese, small training treats (we have a variety), cooked meat which is plain either beef or chicken, and peanut butter. When I do the combo anything small goes in first. Then the jerky is stuffed a certain way to keep the smaller bits in. Last the end is covered in peanut butter. This can keep her busy for an hour if I stuff it right, lol.

#7 ·
Oooo, looks like I'm going to have to go shopping so I can experiment and see what my pup likes best, peanut butter was my first thought, but I don't have any at the moment.

The Kong website has a few interesting recipes, I'm not sure how healthy they are though. I read of a few people saying they used things like mashed potato and egg? I figured I'd give it a try since it's the only thing I had on hand for the moment, Riley seemed to like it, but I refrained from giving her too much, just because I'm not 100% sure how healthy it is.

Recipes - Kong

#10 ·
I always put the kong in the freezer but this is because Zoey doesn't like peanut butter to much.
I use a broken up milk bone as a "filler" and depending on what I have available, is what I will fill it.

I usually use a can of tuna and milkbone layered on top of each other frozen.
The other I use is whatever meat scraps I have from leftovers layered on broken up milk bone with another layer of cottage cheese. Zoey loves the cottage cheese and it freezes nice and hard which takes longer to eat!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.