German Shepherds Forum banner

Worst injury caused by your dog?

5K views 49 replies 42 participants last post by  Sarah~ 
#1 ·
I was just playing tug with rogue and went to offer her a different piece so she could fix her bite and she missed and bit my thumb. Her canine sliced along my nail bed and then She took a little chunk off the top. Ouch. Luckily it didn't hurt right away so I didn't scare her when it happened. (We're doing bite work, so it's important tug is all fun fun fun right now) hurts like a you know what now. I have a bunch of scabs and scars on my hands and wrists from the puppy teeth but this is the worst one yet.

What about you?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#32 ·
Just today at flyball practice Halo slammed into my thigh, head first, HARD. It's not looking bruised yet, but I expect that it will be by tomorrow. It hurt bad. She also bent back my fingernail going for her tug, and separated part of the nail from the nailbed. That smarts too! A few months ago at a flyball tournament she outed her tug, but then leaped at it again as I was putting it around my neck - she missed and got my breast instead. That was a VERY nasty purple and yellow bruise for over a month.

One time when she was younger she was so excited when I got home that when I let the dogs out of the garage pen (they have to sit and watch before I open the door), she leaped up and muzzle punched me in the face in her enthusiasm. I was pretty sure she'd broken my nose at the time, but fortunately it was just painful, not broken.

Another time I was training her at a strip mall, and again she got excited and jumped up at my face and managed to get me right in the eye. I don't know if she jammed my own eyelashes into my eye or it was her whiskers, but OMG, that hurt. I couldn't see, my eye burned and started watering, and I had to take her immediately to the car and drive home. It was hours before it started feeling better.

But what's even worse is the time that I was still in bed one morning and Tom let the dogs out of their crates, and they both ran outside to do their business and then came back in. Keefer jumped up at me on the bed (which he NEVER does), and his toenails scratched my eyeball. Let me tell you, a corneal abrasion is extremely painful! That time I had to go to the doctor, and I couldn't see right or get my eye to stop watering for several days.

At agility class with Dena, years ago I tripped over the metal support for the tunnel because I was watching HER and not paying attention to where I was going. I landed with my right arm extended above my head, and I broke my shoulder - a humeral head fracture. I didn't know it was broken at the time, and it was exactly halfway through the class, so I continued, working with her on my left side only because I couldn't lift my right arm more than a few inches from my side without intense pain. That was week 5 of a 6 week class. I showed up the next week with my arm in a sling and finished the class. :cool:

I've had numerous bumps and bruises and nips, too many to mention. :)

#33 ·
Of course we did NOT do retakes- life with dogs :).... It was a pretty hard hit...but I think more it had to do with the angle....Boy was bending down, Zeus was popping up. He got hit with the head/snout....and got a tooth scratch to boot! Zeus is such an awesome laid back dog...I find it so ironic that it was never Beast who injured the Boy!

#34 ·
I posted this a while back... on a road trip I had Axel on the long line at a rest area... wasn't paying a whole lot of attention when his boy went running to the bathroom. The line got around my ankle... on a hill. Axel hit the end at a dead run, I got slammed really hard into the ground head 1st :( He also accidentally bit me when I took him to check out the dog club here...he's a little nervy, got all excited when 1st trying bite work and got my thigh in his excitement. Nice big bruise lasted a couple weeks... LOL!

#37 ·
My dog Hector did this to me, except he hit my mouth instead of my throat and smashed 3 of my teeth.

Then two weeks later we were playing and he ran full-force into my legs and knocked me down. I landed awkwardly and broke my finger in addition to some major bruising.

The best part was that this all happened within 6 weeks of me finding him as a dumped dog, as I was trying to rehome him because I didn't want another dog and GSDs aren't (or weren't) my breed. Somehow it's been a year and I still have him and he's one of my favorite dogs ever. :confused: I am not sure how this happened.

#36 ·
Wasn't a GSD, but my late 130lbs brazilian mastiff and I were playing tug of war when my phone rang. Like a dummy, I removed one hand from the rope to reach for the phone and about had my remaining arm torn from its socket by his next tug. Tore my rotator cuff. Without surgery, took nearly a year to heal. Apparently, with surgery, it also would have taken a year to heal.

#43 ·
I was playing tug with Odin once and somehow put my thumb in the back of his mouth while he was biting down on the tug. His back molar went right through my nail alomost down to the bone. I had a perfect molar shape in my nail...until it fell off. Wholly crap that hurt!

Havoc bit my boob when he was overly excited doing agility, I had a hematoma the size of a small tennis ball. Took 2 weeks to heal, very painful:sick:

I always joke that I have gotten more frequent and serious injuries training my dogs for sports than I did as an amatuer boxer!

#44 ·
My dad was getting his tennis shoes out from under his bed, well Gypsy must have thought they were going to go outside, so she jumped off the bed and caught my dad in the eye with her nails. Luckily, his eyelid was scratched, even though it did require a visit to the ER for stitches.

#46 ·
Let's see....
Stella bit through my nail into the skin underneath when she had her puppy teeth. OUCH!!
She also knocked me on my back that I had already injured previously. She was on a long line and got the zoomies....and I got tangled in it.

Ruben bit my boob by accident going after his ball. Another OUCH!

A dog I had growing up knocked out my now dh's tooth.....

#49 ·
I got a head butt from Ossie that split the underside of my chin and bled like crazy. I still have the scar from years ago.

Lisl gave me a bloody nose a few weeks back from a muzzle butt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.