German Shepherds Forum banner

Neighbor Rant (long)

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  hattifattener 
#1 ·
So Saturday was not the best day for me, it was the 1 year anniversary of the passing of my last GSD, Elsa. I took Bear out for a walk in my neighborhood and I was switching the leash attchment from his collar to his prong when he escaped and started playing in the grassy are. I know, I should have done this prior to leaving the house, but had forgotten to.
Bear is a very friendly dog and is in no way aggressive to either people or other dogs.
He was very excited and it had just snowed, so of course he had the zoomies and did not want to be recalled. I have been working with him on recall and so I never let him off leash unless we are at the dog park. So a neighbor must have seen this and called AC on me. they came out and said that someone had complained that a large GSD was off leash. I told the AC officer that "yes" he was off leash, but not on purpose. She said that the person filing the complaint had pictures (a little creepy if you ask me) and that she was going to write up a citation.
I agreed because I admitted that he was off leash, but then she proceed to tell me that the complaintant also said that I do not clean up after my dog!!!! I was nearly besides myself with anger. The fine for off leash is $50.00 but the fine for not cleaning up after your pet is $100.00!
I asked the AC officer how they could charge me with not cleaning up when there was no proof and she said that they didn't need proof, they just needed someone to complain.
Needless to say, I will be going to the hearing because I will not pay $100.00 for something that I did not do! It's just frustrating to me that this neighbor would go this far and not even give me the common courtesy of talking with me and on top of that he has a huge Main **** cat that he lets roam the neighborhood with no tags and it deficates in *my* yard!!
Sorry...I just needed to get that off my chest.

See less See more
#4 ·
nasty neighbor!!!:mad:

snap some pics of that **** thing pooping in your yard and call AC.:)
I know, right? I told my DH that the next time I see the **** cat in the neigborhood I would snap a picture and call AC.
I have to go to a hearing first and then when I plead not guilty they set a court date. Can you believe what a waste of taxpayer dollars! I wonder what will happen when he knows that I will not be sucking it up and just paying the fine. If there is a court date then he has to show up.

#5 ·
There is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. If this was happening for just a few moments, this is so sad! And yes creepy that someone had a camera ready so soon. Some people are just haters. Hope the judge will have more compassion.

Something like this recently happened to my neighbor. He too is very good about keeping his dog on leash. He thought the leash was hooked to his dog's collar, but he missed. The dog ran loose for probably less than a minute, but in that time barked at his neighbor's dog who was on a upstairs balcony. The upstairs dog owner called the police. My neighbor Tim, is one of the most honest persons I ever met, so of course he admitted to the police his dog got loose and they gave him a $50 ticket.

#6 ·
That's just nastiness. Sounds like the neighbor embellished the story just to make sure that AC would come out.

#7 ·
I'd be grabbing up the cat when it's on my property and taking it to the pound. Sorry, but if someone's going to go all nasty, I'm going to go all nasty. I've had it with neighbors! The super great thing about where we're moving is we'll have none!! Hotel on one side and nothing on the other! My birds can scream til their hearts are content and my dogs can bark! (although dog barking irritates ME) I've got 3 neighbors (2 in back, 1 on the side) that are sub-human. It's beyond irritating, and this one of yours sounds like a real winner, too! :mad:

#8 ·
My mom taught me long ago that when people do mean, malicious things behind your back, the best thing to do is to talk to them face to face and apologize profusely for whatever you may have done. This usually works VERY well. You have to be completely sincere about it. Sarcasm ruins the whole point.

For example, I would walk up to the neighbor's house and knock on the door. (Do not be sarcastic in any way) When they answer, profusely apologize for your dog being off leash. "I am so sorry that _____ got away from me. I had no idea how scared you were of large dogs being off leash. I am just kicking myself in the butt for not being more careful and making you uncomfortable. I will be so careful with him and make sure he does not get off leash again. Is there anything I could do to make you feel better? Would you like to meet _____ and give him a treat so he does not scare you anymore? I know it must have felt awkward for you to tell me and that is why you called animal control. He told me you were so upset. Don't worry, after the 150$ fine I got, I will be very careful from now on"

Bullies hate being confronted and something like this would embarrass the crap out of them and make them feel guilty to have to admit they called AC on you. After they see how nice you are and having to see in person that you are genuinely concerned about their feelings too, maybe they will open up to you. If their cat is prowling the neighborhood, perhaps they were scared for their pet?

I have done this with real-life bullies in school, in sports, at work, etc, and I have ended up becoming good friends with all the people who were malicious towards me in the beginning.

I have learned that most people who do hateful things towards other people don't have much love in their lives and will respond very well to sincere kindness and caring. To "fight back" only excites them and allows them to continue their hateful actions.

I hope all goes well!

#10 ·
My mom taught me long ago that when people do mean, malicious things behind your back, the best thing to do is to talk to them face to face and apologize profusely for whatever you may have done. This usually works VERY well. You have to be completely sincere about it. Sarcasm ruins the whole point.

For example, I would walk up to the neighbor's house and knock on the door. (Do not be sarcastic in any way) When they answer, profusely apologize for your dog being off leash. "I am so sorry that _____ got away from me. I had no idea how scared you were of large dogs being off leash. I am just kicking myself in the butt for not being more careful and making you uncomfortable. I will be so careful with him and make sure he does not get off leash again. Is there anything I could do to make you feel better? Would you like to meet _____ and give him a treat so he does not scare you anymore? I know it must have felt awkward for you to tell me and that is why you called animal control. He told me you were so upset. Don't worry, after the 150$ fine I got, I will be very careful from now on"

Bullies hate being confronted and something like this would embarrass the crap out of them and make them feel guilty to have to admit they called AC on you. After they see how nice you are and having to see in person that you are genuinely concerned about their feelings too, maybe they will open up to you. If their cat is prowling the neighborhood, perhaps they were scared for their pet?

I have done this with real-life bullies in school, in sports, at work, etc, and I have ended up becoming good friends with all the people who were malicious towards me in the beginning.

I have learned that most people who do hateful things towards other people don't have much love in their lives and will respond very well to sincere kindness and caring. To "fight back" only excites them and allows them to continue their hateful actions.

I hope all goes well!
Normally, I would agree with you, but this particular neighbor has a dog besides the cat and we have never had issues with him and his family in the past. He knows my dog is friendly and Bear has walked past the **** cat and never reacts to it, so I know that he was not fearful for his cat.
I really and honestly don't know what his reasoning was, but it really irks me that he wouln't have had the common courtesy to just say something to me. If he took the time to take pictures, he would realize that I was having a hard time recalling my dog and it was not an itentionally act.

#13 ·
Ok, here's what you do, go get a center punch, you can buy them at any hardware store, take out all the windows in his car. It does it pretty silently. Buy a can of black spray paint arrange the letters ickd to form a word on the hood of his car in spray paint with an arrow pointing at the driver, then when spring comes, go buy total wipeout, it comes in a pump bottle with a handy trigger for precise application, write dirty words in his lawn.

All joking aside, his cat is coming in and pooping in your yard? Trap it, some humane societies will rent live traps or you can buy them for $50 at Tractor Supply, trap the cat and call A/C. Cat poop is nasty and can be dangerous to some, pregnant women, children... Your neighbor wants everyone to abide by the rules perhaps he/she needs to be reminded of them him/herself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.