German Shepherds Forum banner

my 7 month old puppy's ears r criss crossed

10K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  0pusX 
#1 ·
hello all, my 7 month old pup had her ears up but leaning inward "criss cross" since she was 4 months. they are still this way until today at 7 months old, they have not changed a bit...

Is there a chance they may stand up normally?
attached are 2 pictures.
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=ca70d001fa&view=att&th=13ae9d576eea7395&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1418242969362759680-1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-gHT1seXpiSX6trk-OCPj8&sadet=1352545509737&sads=n_4N_r2WGtmWZZzY0CD8iE3SDOU&sadssc=1

#3 ·
Great looking pup. I think there is still a chance they will stand up more. At 7 months sometimes they still go through the soft ear stage -usually tied in with teething. They really don't look bad now though so even if they don't get real stiff you will still have a nice looking dog.

#8 ·
you missed the time for inserts as they usually work before 6 months. try massaging the inner part of each ear at the base. sometimes this helps.

if you don't intend to show, don't worry about it. She's a nice looking pup.
Agree. You can try giving her some knuckle bones or bully sticks to chew on, but it's a bit late in the game to expect a lot. I think she will always have weak ears. Lots of GSDs out there have weak or floppy ears. It's common enough. Cartilage is not strong enough or does not develop right and they don't stand properly. If it really bothers you, you could look into surgical inserts to make them stand. But I would not worry if you don't want to show or breed.

#12 ·
my 9 month old females ears were like that until about 7-8 months. just give them a little longer but even if they don't, don't worry about it she's still a good lookin pup. like someone said before i wouldn't massage them. personally when ever i get a "new" pup i tell EVERYONE to never touch my dogs ears, including little ones.

#14 ·
If ears are meant to stand, they stand. If they are not, they don't stand. It has to do with weak or poor cartilage development and poor genetics. It is a fault and dogs that have weak ears should not be bred. Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with these dogs and they will make great companions. If a dog's ears are so weak that they will not tolerate touching, the ears are weak to begin with. Touching is neither here nor there, but speaking purely from conjecture, increased circulation with stimulation by the hands *may* help increase blood supply which could help in firming up and strengthening the ear.

#17 · (Edited)
According to my contract I can return the puppy at my expense for a replacement. I don't even want to think what breeders do with a returned puppy for any type of genetic or health reason. .
Even if I could keep her and get a replacement, I am not in a position where I could keep a forth(another pup would be our forth) dog.
I requested a partial refund if the ears where not up by a year old( four more months) since that is a major fault and is not considered show quality. I have not heard anything from the breeder since making that request. I can live with the overbite as long it doesn't effect her health.
As far as everything else, she has an awesome temperament, beautiful coloring , loyal to a fault,and as I said would not send her back for any reason.. But with completely flopped ears as a gsd, she is barely pet quality let alone show quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.