German Shepherds Forum banner

Should Homeless People Be Allowed To Have Dogs?

Do You Think Homeless People Should Be Allowed To Have Dogs?

12K views 68 replies 45 participants last post by  Msmaria 
#1 ·
Do you think homeless individuals with dogs should have them taken away if the dogs are still being provided for? Most of the homeless individuals I have seen with dogs always put them first when it comes to food and usually the dogs are more well behaved than a lot of housedogs. I know there are some food banks and rescues who will provide dog food for the homeless and sometimes free vet care is also available.

#42 ·
Yup, as long as the dog is safe and healthy. I bet a homeless dog probably gets more attention from its owner than most regular dogs since the homeless person and the dog would be with each other constantly.

And if the dog isn't looking like it's well cared for, it would be pretty easy for other people to spot it and report it since they'd be on the streets and not behind closed doors.

#45 ·
I said yes because I don't really care to sit here and speculate about people I don't know and whether or not I should allow them to have a dog. Last I checked it's a free country.

#47 ·
A homeless person has next to nothing. I know my greatest possessions are my pets. Although there's no way I could have my parrots on the street, you'd have to pry Grim from my cold, dead hands. I would never deny someone their best friend.

#48 ·
i misread read the thread and thought it was "harmless" people!!!

those images??? they are all so young, how do young people (mainly young men) get to that point so quick?

the old saying; it is easier to build a boy than mend a man. whats up with this world?

#49 ·
The problem here is that some people aren't really discussing the well-being of the dogs, they are stereotyping a section of the population and judging them all in the same way. Granted, the question wasn't even about dogs to start with, but about homeless people and their rights, or what rights greater society arrogantly thinks they should grant the homeless.

I wonder if the question was asked differently, in a way that did not imply that greater society had the moral right to take away the free choice of people they did not approve of, if the answers would be different?
Are dogs owned by homeless people being neglected and their needs going un-met?

#52 ·
i live in sacramento california and i see countless homeless people everyday with animals my opinion is that if they catch a stray and keep them as a companion on the streets why not better than being put down in over crowded shelters or starving alone or chance of getting hit by a car. but most homeless are homeless for a reason from drug abuse to violence, fraud what have you and those are the ones looking for a fix which ive witnessed these people doing by beating the dogs to obedience or just using them for a handout. so to say the least theres no way to control it and i dont know every homeless person in the world or their story for being homeless, but i still pray for all those dogs that they get to experience some of what normal housepets receive food a walk and a nice bellyrub:)

#54 ·
There are plenty of dogs with homes that don't get regular vet visits, and are neglected in some way. Of course the homeless should be afforded the companionship of a dog. It may be there only friend. And if they use it as a scam to get money for drugs....so what. As long as the dog is taken care of. There are plenty of druggies and alcoholics that are not homeless that have dogs.
There was a homeless man in my town who had a dog. His dog was better trained and behaved than any dog I have ever seen. They were so attached. This man adored his dog and the dog never left his side.
Who are we to say a dog is better of with a person that is not homeless?

#55 ·
A lot of homeless people are also unstable in one or more ways, and are often arrested. If they are arrested what happens to the pooch? Does the city pound hold it for the homeless person? I think if the dog is not being a nuisance, and the dog does not seem neglected, and the homeless person is not arrested, why should anyone take their dog?

On the other hand, if a homeless person's dog bites someone, mauls someone's little kid, well who pays for that?

And, how do they comply with licensing of the dog without an address?

I don't know. It almost seems like kicking someone when they are down to take their dog. I am not sure it still is, but vagrancy used to be a crime. You could be arrested simply for not having any address, and no place to go. Get arrested, and there goes the dog. I don't think government pounds should be holding dogs for people while they are in the county clink

#58 ·
Simply yes..... My lady and I had this conversation before and you have to look at it the right way. She was upset because she seen a JRT out on the street's with a homeless person, but guess what, that dog was loved. There are thousands of dogs dieing in kill shelters every single day, would you rather have a good dog be PTS alone or live a life of love on the streets. Yes its tough but guess what, there are thousands of stray dogs out there doing just fine. A dog's #1 priority is just to be loved, no matter who it's coming from.

#61 ·
This is a tough question!

I really don't know if there's a right or a wrong answer. What if a homeless person finds a stray that they befriend and they provide some much needed companionship for one another? I think both would be better off in that instance.

But then again, if they can't afford to feed it or care for it (a flea infestation for example), I'm just not sure.

I guess I'd have to give the benefit of the doubt to the person, and say that it's ok with me. There was one picture of a homeless man and his dog that was just heartbreakingly beautiful. Sorry if someone posted it already, I haven't read the entire thread.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_H914Tf5HS5M/ShlHJeNNS7I/AAAAAAAACTo/2jNUZcAunrw/s320/homelessmananddog.jpg

#62 ·
There's a homeless guy who sleeps on one of the big bridges in my home town. He's pretty famous because he has a rabbit that is always tucked up in his jacket.

At the start of the year some yobs snatched the rabbit from him and tossed it over the bridge. The homeless guy immediately jumped into the water and saved his rabbit while nearly drowning himself.

He and the bunny were eventually lifted from the water and when asked why he risked his life he replied "I had to save my best friend". :)

I don't think homeless people should be denied the love and companionship a pet can bring as long as they are able to provide for it.

#65 ·
OMG! Why would people do that to him and that poor animal? I am glad both were saved in the end but that just once again shows that so many humans just don't deserve to be called human.

Poor man, I am soooo glad he and Thumper are alright.

#64 ·
Tough topic. I can't see why not, the dogs alternate option would probably be getting put down in a shelter. So i'm sure the dog would choose the being with a homeless handler as opposed to being put down in a shelter.

I saw the pics posted a page or 2 back in the thread...I've never seen a more content looking Lab snuggled up with his owner. Huge smile on it's sleeping face.

#66 ·
I was homeless for two and a half months from mid september to the day before thanksgiving. My wife, our two dogs, and my disabled butt were sleeping in my car during that period. I took the better care for them that I did myself (I was eating and drinking once a day/every other day so they, and my wife, would have plenty of food and water). I was REALLY depressed too and their company kept me from becoming suicidal again. As long as their needs are met, I am VERY pro homeless people owning dogs.

#69 · (Edited)
Yes. I know its harder for them to feed their dog, but most of these dogs are from the street anyway. And I have seen so many homeless truly love their dogs. Being from the Los Angeles area there are many homeless with dogs. There are many shelters or food banks that you can donate your unused/full bags/cans of dog food or just donate that help homeless people receive food for themselves and their dogs. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.