German Shepherds Forum banner

Should Homeless People Be Allowed To Have Dogs?

Do You Think Homeless People Should Be Allowed To Have Dogs?

12K views 68 replies 45 participants last post by  Msmaria 
#1 ·
Do you think homeless individuals with dogs should have them taken away if the dogs are still being provided for? Most of the homeless individuals I have seen with dogs always put them first when it comes to food and usually the dogs are more well behaved than a lot of housedogs. I know there are some food banks and rescues who will provide dog food for the homeless and sometimes free vet care is also available.

#2 ·
There's too many factors that go into this for me to answer with certainty.
(kids, homeless shelters, etc.)

As a general rule, though, if they are able to provide for the pet, they should keep it.

#3 ·
This is a hard question, but I'm leaning toward yes. As long as the dog is taken care of. I think that sometimes the pets are the only friends they have:(

#4 ·
Events | Pets of the Homeless

BTW...a story that stayed with me had to do with the homeless and their pets in Spokane, WA...it's been quite a few years now but I remember to this day, the statement that "dogs live in the moment, they do not miss what they don't have", and that's so true.
All they know is today, and that they are with their person today.

Pets that belong to Hollywood stars or living in mansions are no better off than the dogs living with these homeless people...my dogs don't know they don't live in a 3k square foot home...they know they have us and we love them and that's all that matters...

#7 ·
Pets that belong to Hollywood stars or living in mansions are no better off than the dogs living with these homeless people...my dogs don't know they don't live in a 3k square foot home...they know they have us and we love them and that's all that matters...
Actually, they are probably worse off.
Those dogs that are put into purses and carried around like an evening clutch in front of swarms of paparazzi -- what kind of life is that for a dog?

#8 ·
"allowed" I really dislike this word. And if they aren't "allowed" how would anyone stop them?

Personally, yes. I have no issue with it. The dogs they have are most likely from the streets anyways and these ppl are caring for them.

I didn't vote though because I don't believe there should be a condition on it. It's just Yes.

#10 ·
This issue was brought up on our local news.It was a small segment and they actually used the word 'allowed'. There's a new development on the lake with multi million dollar homes and there have been a few complaints from those residents to animal control about the 'nuisance situation'. There have been no problems with particular animals, it's more of an image thing. They like looking at some of these men/women walking down the main highway with their dogs when they come out of their gated community and expected AC to just up and take the dogs,even though they aren't bothering them.

#11 ·
I had a dog when I had to live in a van. No way, no how was I going to give her up--in fact, she was part of the reason I was homeless. I couldn't find a rental that I could afford that would allow me to have a dog, and I wasn't giving her up.

I can't imagine if someone had told me I wasn't "allowed" to have a dog because I was homeless. She was my best friend, sometimes my only friend, and provided some security for a homeless young woman. I honestly believe that she kept a lot of would-be trouble away from me during that time.

And her needs were definitely met--before mine were, in fact. To be honest, she probably loved our year long "camping" adventure--she went everywhere with me, even to my college classes. Got plenty of exercise walking everywhere, playing ball and frisbee. Lots of social interaction, too.

I'm not gonna lie--it was hard at times. Bad weather sucked. Extreme heat, where the van was like a sauna. Rain, when the van leaked. I didn't mind the dry cold, we had each other and plenty of (hopefully dry) blankets at night.

If I hadn't had my dog while I was homeless, I don't know what would have happened to me.

Most of the dogs I see with homeless people are well cared for and well behaved. If I ever saw a homeless person with a sick-looking dog, I'd try to help.

#14 ·
just guessing, but I would think that a homeless person has a dog, thats probably all thats keeping him/her from giving up completely, plus its unconditional love, were as all the humans bailed on the person, I dont think anyone has the right to say the homeless can or can not have a dog

#20 ·
The dog is probably already alone on the street as well and could be the only companion the homeless person has. Its a friend to him just the way they are to us in a home. I wouldnt deny somebody of that.

#21 ·
No. No. No. Sorry but kids are like pets and should not be homeless. The worst thing about it that homeless people use their animals to get money for "food" but prob for boos or drugs. They abuse animals to draw attention like a cat in top of a dog, that's un natural. Homeless people don't have enough money to feed themselves let alone another living thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#24 ·
I have seen some very well fed dogs owned by homeless people. Several I have seen on the streets were napping in really cozy looking beds. Sometimes it looked as if the dog was better cared for than the human.

Another case where you just can't make broad sweeping generalizations about an entire group of people.

#22 ·
Generally I would say no. A dog will prevent someone from getting into a shelter or housing if available. Many homeless have drug/alcohol issues.

This question is too generalized as there a so many different populations of homeless. There are people who live in their cab over campers, couch surfers, cardboard and in the bushes and behind buildings. Homeless due to job loss/health issues, homeless due to lifestyle choices. Overall I think in the pet's best interest it's best to have a safe home and regular food source.

#27 ·
There is a guy who hangs out under the skytrain on mainstreet in Vancouver. Nice man, nice black dog. He leaves his stuff and leaves the dog there to grab something and he sits infront of the starbucks under lots of blankets with his dog.. they get lots of goodies. His dog is great, so is he. I used to work a 5 minute walk away from them and I bought them breakfast or goodies from my work when I could. I don't recall where I read it but studies show homeless or low income owners take better care of their pets in regards to regular veterinary care (shots, license, spays/neuters) and time commitments than those who are caught up in cash with a busy business type life style. A lot of the time these dogs are all people have. I have seen low low income couples with a puppy.. we have to keep in mind that these people were once like us, they were educated and some were even doctors and something went wrong in life - or they retired and their pension isn't enough to live completely off of. If I was to loose everything tomorrow, I would give my cat to my family, definitely keep my 3 y/o dog and I might rehome my pup because she can bond easily to somebody else and may need a lot more care and maintenance than my older dog.

Dogs don't care if they have a roof over their head. Personally, my dog keeps me warm through the winter. When the boyfriend leaves for work, Vida comes up on the bed and we have cuddles and snoozes for a few hours. She might have to go on a cheaper food, but that's about all that would change!

#30 ·
I used to share the same belief that dogs were used as pawns. Until one day my blinders were removed by a sweet old man, I'll never forget him. I was in Montreal and we were running into McDonald's after the bar, he was outside the door minding his own business not harassing anyone for money. On my way out I picked up a couple burgers and a fry for him, the first thing he did was remove the patties from the buns and feed his dog he then ate the bun and fries. I know some more fortunate people that don't consider the needs of their animals.

In today's society we are way too quick to judge based on stereotypes alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.