German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Transition from wings to quarters? And overall advice...
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
JaimeZX

Default Transition from wings to quarters? And overall advice...

So Kalypso is looking GREAT (pic at bottom) and I think that's 95% genetics and 5% good diet...
I think her dad is about 100 lbs and her mom is ~70-75. Kali is I think ~49lbs right now at 6 months. (Not at all fat.) Hopefully she's on-track for a great adult weight!

So... currently Kali's diet is (breakfast and dinner):

* Three chicken (or duck) wings
* A small (quarter / 50 piece) sized piece of liver or kidney (pork or beef)
* Some kind of MM depending on what's on sale
* cup (about) of veggie glop

This is not inexpensive though... Even wings from Costco are like, $19 for a 36-pack... which lasts us 6 days.
Liver/kidney is $1.90/lb if I'm lucky.
MM on sale can be pretty cheap.
Veggie glop is essentially free.
Still - this is like, $85/month. Quite a bit more than even high-end kibble. Although we usually get the duck wings when they're on sale for $1.05/lb. Which is nice, but they tend to stink more.

Chicken legs are way cheaper but I'm concerned there's not enough bone in them. Would love to feed backs but I haven't found a source for them yet. POSSIBLY the Whole Foods by my friend's place, but I'm not sure about that yet.

I know as she gets bigger I can transition her to a chicken quarter for the meal... Would also love to have a deep-freeze so I can really stock up when stuff is on sale but unfortunately we don't have room for one in our current place.

Thoughts on her diet right now? Other general comments?

Thanks.

JaimeZX is offline   Reply With Quote