German Shepherds Forum banner

Loose, but friendly dog wouldn't leave my DA dog alone while on a walk

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  JeanKBBMMMAAN 
#1 ·
I was walking tonight with my DA dog when a loose pit bull came up to her. I immediately put her in a sit and stood over her. He was very friendly and sniffed her all over and attempted to play. He mounted her a few times even though she is spayed. I told him to go home and tried to continue my walk but he kept circling us and I had to kind of hold her muzzle so she wouldn't bite him and risk a dog fight. Finally a guy riding by on a bike stopped to help and we were able to go home. How do I keep this from happening again?

#2 ·
To prevent it from happening, try not to allow any contact with the other dog. Don't stop and let the other dog come up to your dog. Turn immediately and go the other way, keep your dog on heel. If the loose dog follows, say sternly "go home, no, leave it". Keep walking away with your dog on heel - ignoring the other dog. When the loose dog sees that he can't play with your dog or you won't give him any attention, the dog will go away.

#4 ·
HOLY CRAP! He MOUNTED her?!?!? Your dog went above and beyond! That would be scary because like you said you don't want to risk a dog fight if she reacts. However, her feeling so vulnerable could not have helped her, and that means that you will need to be her protector in a more proactive way - so many things that you can do (and so hard to remember any of them when a dog approaches - I freeze myself - deer in the headlights!). Like Mary Beth said moving away can help, the dramatic ignore seems to work on dogs.

Cruising that neighborhood - is that dog out a lot - if so, is there another place to walk
Calling AC to report a loose dog if that's not okay there - and immediately after any future interactions with him if they were to happen again
Treats - throwing them at the other dog and away from you - high value, even things a dog might want to take and chew for a bit
Loud voice/stern commands - I have a demon voice that I use - and usually pepper it up with words the dog has probably heard in not good ways to scare them
Physical presence - puffing up - and you know, all of this has risks, because some dogs are lunatics and that is the other part of this - difficult to tell that, which is why treats can be a good first step
As said, a walking stick or something you can use to protect your dog

Hopefully others will have more ideas.

I hate that there are loose dogs...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.