German Shepherds Forum banner

Any reason why a particular dog might be a target?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Angelina03 
#1 ·
It's happened at least 3 times now that Rocco is targeted by dogs that don't bother the other dogs at the park.

A couple of months ago, a big GS mix (I think with wolf) was going after Rocco and snapping at him. Rocco tried to move away and the dog kept coming after him until the owner grabbed it. The dog didn't seem to do it to other dogs at the park.

Yesterday, Rocco was attacked by a Rottweiler. When the Rot growled at him Rocco tried to go away from him but the Rot went after him and pinned him down. Luckily the owner had him on a leash because Rocco couldn't get away from him and he was crying. I think the Rot hurt him but there were no puncture wounds (lots of saliva all over his head). He kept trying to go after Rocco even after the owner pulled him off. The Rot was growling at other dogs but not trying to "get" them and pinned them down.

Later, another dog when after Rocco and the owner had to grab it.

I don't understand why. Rocco is not even dominant. If anything, he'll coward away. All he does is sniff and then walk away. Why do dogs want to attack him?

Any thoughts.

See less See more
#2 ·
Does Rocco stare at other dogs, how does he carry his tail? If he keeps getting nailed he is going to either be dog aggressive or extremely submissive(neither are what I'd want for my dog!)
I would stop with the dog parks asap....not worth the risk, you are being unfair to him by subjecting him to those dogs

#3 ·
We just had another thread about this. I believe some dogs give off vibes, esp. when young, that attract bullies. One of mine was like that -- he'd be minding his own business and out of nowhere a dog in a dog park would go after him. I policed dogs approaching him carefully for a while, and with a lot of time at controlled socialization opportunities, he grew out of it. He's pretty sociable now.

I can't say what it is that some dogs give off that does this--it happened to mine when he was around a year old while he was lying in the shade by himself resting, so it wasn't ears or tail position. I do believe there is something (a subtle weakness...I don't know) that some dogs sense and target.

Protect him zealously until/unless he grows out of it.

#5 ·
We just had another thread about this. I believe some dogs give off vibes, esp. when young, that attract bullies. One of mine was like that -- he'd be minding his own business and out of nowhere a dog in a dog park would go after him. I policed dogs approaching him carefully for a while, and with a lot of time at controlled socialization opportunities, he grew out of it. He's pretty sociable now.

I can't say what it is that some dogs give off that does this--it happened to mine when he was around a year old while he was lying in the shade by himself resting, so it wasn't ears or tail position. I do believe there is something (a subtle weakness...I don't know) that some dogs sense and target.

Protect him zealously until/unless he grows out of it.
This is what I felt it was too, that Rocco was giving off some vibe. It is so strange because it doesn't happen with most dogs; just the ones that seem to be bullies, as you said.
What can I do to increase his confidence?

#6 ·
Are you training anywhere? Training can increase confidence as does agility.
How old is Rocco?
He may need to have one on one playdates with a dog that he gets along with, instead of random dogs he has no relationship with.

#8 ·
Are you training anywhere? Training can increase confidence as does agility.
How old is Rocco?
He may need to have one on one playdates with a dog that he gets along with, instead of random dogs he has no relationship with.
Yes. We go to training off-and-on at PetSmart and I practice with him at home. He just turned 1 and is fearful (I think); but loves to be/play with other dogs. I would much prefer one on one playdates; but they are so far in between that it's not enough for him. He needs more frequent play/socialization. And he loves to go to the park. As soon as he sees the general area (when driving), he starts to go nuts!!

#7 ·
I don't know, my dog is considered confident(by all her trainers) and she's had this issue in the past, but with small dogs. She had an issue with one big dog..a Leonberger. I don't know if its because she is so big, that they are immediately afraid and go at her?? She handles it well, she will just sit down and look at them like really?? My dog also thinks that everything is play, so when they approach her she is not in a mode to fight. She doesn't run or cower when they approach either. I attached a picture of a small dog that was in "attack" mode and my dog is looking at her(my dog was actually wagging her tail, but you can't see it in the picture). Eventually my dog walked away from the small dog and the small dog was taken out of the situation. So I'm not sure why she used to be targeted. I will say that you don't want your dog to keep getting attacked, because it can do damage, especially if the dog reacts in any way that shows fear. I would stay away from dog parks too.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif

Attachments

#9 ·
I stopped going to the dog park for just this reason....Stella was bullied several times. At the time she wanted nothing but to play and run. She became reactive towards dogs and we are just now getting a handle on that. She doesn't have too many "friends" she can play with one on one unfortunately. But she goes to doggie day care once a week and gets to play with a variety of dogs. She is getting better with other dogs in other places but it has taken a lot of time and practice. I still don't let her off leash with other dogs unless I know them. Of course life would be a lot easier if I could just go to the dog park and let her run......but it is what it is.

#10 ·
I stopped going to the dog park for just this reason....Stella was bullied several times. At the time she wanted nothing but to play and run. She became reactive towards dogs and we are just now getting a handle on that. She doesn't have too many "friends" she can play with one on one unfortunately. But she goes to doggie day care once a week and gets to play with a variety of dogs. She is getting better with other dogs in other places but it has taken a lot of time and practice. I still don't let her off leash with other dogs unless I know them. Of course life would be a lot easier if I could just go to the dog park and let her run......but it is what it is.
I'm sorry to hear that; and that is what I want to avoid happening to Rocco. He is so good-natured and "puppyish". I would hate to see that change and have him become reactive or aggressive. Besides, it breaks my heart when other dogs do that to him.
This is what I'm going to do:
Try to set up more playdates
Visit the park during "slow" times of the day
Up the training (look into confidence building activities)
Any other suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.