German Shepherds Forum banner

Where do your dogs live?

Inside, Outside, or Both

10K views 45 replies 41 participants last post by  Phantom 
#1 ·
Due to the another thread that bounced back and forth on the issue of dogs living outside versus inside, it got me thinking. I would like to know where people keep their dogs. I know people can feel strong about this, so I'm just asking what you do with your own pets.

#32 ·
Inside, Outside,or both

Inside for me! When my wife and I married (30 years ago), her dad had always had hunting dogs outside and they'd never had inside pets. I, on the other hand, had always had inside pets! It took a little while (and a great first dog) to change her mind, but all our pets have been inside. Unfortunately, the dander/hair from Ranger is a real problem for her allergies, but she puts up with it for my sake and takes lots of allergy pills when necessary.:rolleyes:

#33 ·
Mine are indoor dogs, we did have a spitz/mix long time ago that hated being left inside! When really cold or bad weather we'd bring him in but if you left him alone he'd rip down curtains, etc! Once I left him in garage because of weather and he "peeled" the bottom of door back to get outside, teeth holes in the metal. He just really liked being outside!

#34 ·
mine have always been inside dogs. if i was outside in the yard when i had my house they were out with me, but never alone outside . between the bears ,coyotes and people stealing dogs i never left mine unattended outside. if i am in they want to be in, if i am out then they are out with me.since i dont have a fenced in yard anymore i have tie outs now for where i live so they can be out with me when i am out on the patio

#36 ·
Arexa is inside most of the time, if I have to leave for more than 2 hours she goes outside, (when she gets bored she starts to do things she is not suppose to) also at night my dog prefers to be outside because it is much cooler there, I can't get her to sleep inside, she has 2 dog houses there one big one, and one small one, she sleeps in the small one :) she loves to guard her property and chase the cats away, I have to drag her in the house on a rainy day for a night :) my dog is happy thats all I care about, I don't feel bad when she is outside, she loves it. I don't believe in just outdoor dog though... its kinda cruel to leave them all lonely...there is just no point in having a dog then unless she is guarding sheep or other animals....

#37 ·
Mine are all inside dogs. Before I got my female (I got her when she was 1), she was an outdoor dog. She still loves being outside, but I'm sure I'd come home to a dug up yard if I left her out while I was at work. My male on the other hand has been a indoor dog since he was 7 weeks old, and definitely prefers being indoors, except for when it snows, then he'd stay outside if he could until he got cold.:rolleyes:

#38 ·
Inside dogs, but she spends alot of time outside. Someone at home, usually my brother's sitter, will put out my dog at around 12-3, and she'll stay outside until around 4 when my sister comes home. At home, she's confined to spare washroom when I'm not home, so the outside is more room to stretch and relieve herself.

She sleeps on my bed at night, and definitely gets tons of human attention.

#39 ·
Well Schatzi stays outside during the day while I'm at work. I am sure she has more fun digging my yard rather than chewing my couch. :wild: :eek: However during the night she comes inside lays down and sleeps in there. I pretty much give her the freedom to pick where she wants to sleep. :)

#40 ·
Both of mine are inside dogs right now, but if I didn't live in the city, and had a properly contained yard or run, they would be both inside and outside. I'm gone for long periods of time for both work and school, so being about to leave them outside while I was gone instead of crated inside would be preferable. It's one of the main qualifications my boyfriend and I will be looking at in the near future when we're looking at homes.

#41 ·
I'm a nervous Nellie, so my dogs do not spend any time outside unsupervised. Our property while large, is not fenced so they could easily decide to chase a cat or fox or deer into the next county. They are only outside if we are outside with them. We do have a small fenced in play area, but they won't really play in there together unless we are there to help facilitate the play (throw the ball or whatever).

My husband works from home, so they are not crated when they are inside the house.

#42 ·
Mine have always been inside, however, if I'm out they are out, and they often times are out by themselves with me in the house. I do have a huge fenced yard:)

When I work, they are inside, the male aussie is always crated, the two girls (aussie and gsd) have free roam of the house.

#44 ·
Mine lives inside with me, partially for safety reasons. He can jump the fence so I don't leave him out side unsupervised. I also have a large out door kennel for occasional use but he does not live in there. He is part of the family so he stays inside where we are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.