German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Police shoot another dog- how on earth are we supposed to protect our dogs?

8K views 117 replies 25 participants last post by  MaggieRoseLee 
#1 ·
This is so sad and tragic. These stories are really starting to make me think. HOW are we supposed to protect are dogs? The cop had the wrong house. The dog was on a chain outside so the officer could have gotten out of the dogs reach yet he shot him. Horrible.

Eldorado Man Accuses Police of Killing Dog | WSILTV | Local News

#59 ·
For some reason I thought you were a photographer! So your a police officer on the outer banks? Sounds like an interesting job!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
I am, and I am, sort of :). I have a photography business to supplement income from my "career", which is law enforcement. I am not a police officer by title, but I am in law enforcement and work in a very similar capacity as police officers or sheriff's deputies. ETA: Just remembered you are from NC, lol. I work for the state ;)

#61 ·
I fully agree with civil repercussions in these situations, and I already noted that there are LEOs out there who aren't the cream of the crop. On that note, I also fully believe that everyone, LE and citizens alike, should be held accountable for their actions. Its hard to comment on what was going through the heads of the LEs who have shot the dogs referenced in so many posts...and I am certainly not making excuses for them...so its hard for me to put myself in their shoes in the moment. I just know that some situations seem much different in that "moment" as opposed to after. And of course, there are those situations where people are just downright stupid (there really is no other word for it and should lose their job for their behavior. Believe me, I'm on your side! My dogs are 100% my babies and I challenge ANYONE to try and hurt them.

#62 ·
I am so happy you weren't offended by my post...I opened this thread up with one eye open, expecting the screen to explode:) I just wish that all people whether they work in the law profession or know someone that does could open their eyes and see what everyone else sees. I do not doubt that the officers in these situations were probably caught off guard and scared, but that is even scarier, because what if it was a person and they shot first, then asked questions. It could very well happen and that makes these kinds of officers very unstable. Its just scary to think that the officer in this thread was investigating a stolen ladder...it was definitely not an emergency and that makes things seem even worse:(

#66 ·
Why should you have to be a police officer to question a police officer's actions?
While you shouldn't, it helps to have perspective. Most folks have none - a doctor has to weigh benefits vs. risks all day long and it helps to know their mindsets when they prescribe something. Same with veterinarians, and same with football players. We can armchair quarterback but we have to know something about how they operate or it's useless.

When people understand cops are their to protect the public and to save their own bacon, so they can protect the public, it sure does help.

That is, if they are unsafe they can't do their jobs. When you look at all situations that way, you get a new perspective.
They also live their lives in the course of their jobs never knowing if that next traffic stop will be their last. They don't know if they are just sitting in a coffee shop and someone who hates cops decides they'll take them out.
They have a very dangerous job related to just humans. Add the humans pets into the equation and that danger increases exponentially.
Life is not fair, it never is. It just is.

#67 ·
While you shouldn't, it helps to have perspective.
When people understand cops are their to protect the public and to save their own bacon, so they can protect the public, it sure does help.

That is, if they are unsafe they can't do their jobs. When you look at all situations that way, you get a new perspective.
They also live their lives in the course of their jobs never knowing if that next traffic stop will be their last. They don't know if they are just sitting in a coffee shop and someone who hates cops decides they'll take them out.
They have a very dangerous job related to just humans. Add the humans pets into the equation and that danger increases exponentially.
Why shouldn't one question a police officer? Technically the public pays their salary and have the right to know what they are paying for. People question the President of the United States all day long. A police officer is human just like a doctor, a teacher,etc. As long as they are human they will be questioned. Maybe its not even them being questioned, but maybe their judgement or lack of judgement. Unsafe in one persons eyes is not necessarily the same in the next persons eyes. Sometimes they put themselves in situations that make them unsafe and that is questionable in its self. Again I respect them and what they do, but they did choose that career. It is one career where there is really no room for error. If they make a bad decision they should not be allowed to hide behind the badge and people who think that police never make bad decisions are just enabling them and giving them the power to think that they are invincible...that alone in this world is a liability.

#68 ·
LL I was responding to Selzers post.

Why should you have to be a police officer to question a police officer's actions?
While you shouldn't, it helps to have perspective.
I realize you only want to argue the same things over and over but maybe if you read her post then mine you'd see what I was saying.
Just like I'm not a brain surgeon, I'm not going to stand there and ask why the brain surgeon cut here, shouldn't he cut over there??

Question away. It amuses me you think griping on a forum is going to change things.

**I'm not a football player nor do I understand the game. I am an LEO albeit a currently unemployed one, and when you do the job you understand it better from that perspective.

#69 ·
LL I was responding to Selzers post.

I realize you only want to argue the same things over and over but maybe if you read her post then mine you'd see what I was saying.
Just like I'm not a brain surgeon, I'm not going to stand there and ask why the brain surgeon cut here, shouldn't he cut over there??

Question away. It amuses me you think griping on a forum is going to change things.

**I'm not a football player nor do I understand the game. I am an LEO albeit a currently unemployed one, and when you do the job you understand it better from that perspective.
I understood perfectly what you were saying, I just added my opinion to it...it is a forum and I can do so anytime that I like. It had nothing to do with you, but its seems like you think it always does:confused: I'm not arguing with anyone, I was simply stating why a police officer can be questioned...I was going to be a police officer, but I thought about all the pros and cons and based on that my decision was made(this was when I was almost done with school). I will NOT go through life thinking all cops are good, that is a very naive way of thinking. I thank God for the good cops we have, but even a good cop will admit that there is plenty of bad cops out there.

#72 ·
The secretary at my church is not a podiatrist or a surgeon, and when she was doped up waiting for the surgery she half-wondered why they had done something to the off-foot. Well, after the surgery the doctor came in and told her that the surgery went well, and it was not as bad as expected. She told him that that was probably because they worked on the wrong foot! This happened to someone I know, not someone I heard about.
I believe it!! My brother had knee surgery and they came in and asked him which was the bad knee, and wrote their initials in ink on his leg. A few folks did that before he went to surgery. They are aware of that issue and take numerous steps to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I was thinking of those shows where you watch on TV what a surgeon is doing, not laying there having your head cut open :thumbup:

#75 ·
So....are ACOs(Animal Control Officers) REALLY considered LEO's now? That IMHO is degrading to the true LEOs. I would say that ACOs fall under code enforcement officers. At least thats the way the county I live in works.

I understand LEO stands for Law Enforcement Officer but I have a very hard time equating ACOs to be under that category. When people say LEO, it generally means Police etc. to ME.

Anyway, just really curious.

#77 ·
We could if necessary...and "warranted" (no pun intended).

ACO's are LEOs since they are sworn officers of the law and work in police departments, with the ability to arrest people if necessary, read them their rights, go to court, the whole 9 yards.

Many "Code enforcement" are just that. Not sworn officers, and don't enforce criminal violations.

I was sworn in by the Chief of Police, had arrest capabilities and if necessary, to get and serve a warrant. There's a difference between writing a code violation for weeds and writing a criminal citation.

Oh, and I attended LEO academy and trained alongside police officers :thumbup:

https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=99&Itemid=10
For more information ;)

#82 · (Edited)
The way you said you attended the academy,
I see what you are saying. I was clarifying, meaning, it was police academy I attended, over by Seattle, got paid for going, and I did graduate the academy.
I got hired 1st then went to academy when it started again shortly after I was hired.
It's not really that uncommon. I'd previously only volunteered at a shelter, but that helped, especially since I'd done many things related to "animal control".
Once an officer, you don't lose the credential which is why I am still an ACO and still eligible for hire; now all I have to do is find a part time position somewhere ;)

RedChrome - you of all people should remember that when Nick Young was killed, they gave him a Police Officer's Funeral in Kennewick, because, OH that's right, ACOs are LEOs :thumbup:

#83 ·
I called TCAC(Tri-City Animal Control) and Benton County Animal Control today. Both said that they as ACOs have no arresting capabilities nor can they serve warrants or read people their rights and it mean something. That's the way it is done here. Other places might do things differently but here the ACOs can just write violations and citations but that is all according to MY local area.

#85 ·
The 80-hour Animal Control Officer Academy will include:
Traditional Law Enforcement Classes:
Communications
Criminal Law
Ethics
Radio Procedures
Search & Seizure
Court Structure & Terms
Prerequisite: Current employment with a Law Enforcement Agency

Perhaps this is too difficult for you to read?

This...is "Police Academy" and yes, they train Police Officers there as well :rolleyes:
The same instructors that trained us train POs also.

#86 ·
I read that but they are Animal Control Officers, NOT Law Enforcement Officers. After taking that course, you are an ACO...NOT an LEO. No matter HOW you read it or word it.

#87 · (Edited)
Just because you work for a Law Enforcement Agency doesn't mean that you are an LEO. It means you work for a Law Enforcement Agency and are a desk clerk,file clerk etc. etc. Misrepresenting yourself as an LEO is NOT very cool IMHO.

Just because the class is at the same place doesn't make it the same thing! The title of the course reads Animal Control Officer Academy NOT Police Academy. It is VERY different. I just had a friend finish the Police Academy and she spent WAY more than 80 hours on it AND it wasn't called ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICER ACADEMY, it was called Police Academy.

#89 ·
Just because you work for a Law Enforcement Agency doesn't mean that you are an LEO. It means you work for a Law Enforcement Agency and are a desk clerk,file clerk etc. etc. Misrepresenting yourself as an LEO is NOT very cool IMHO.

Just because the class is at the same place doesn't make it the same thing! The title of the course reads Animal Control Officer Academy NOT Police Academy. It is VERY different. I just had a friend finish the Police Academy and she spent WAY more than 80 hours on it AND it wasn't called ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICER ACADEMY, it was called Police Academy.

Misrepresenting yourself as an LEO is NOT something that one should do.
:thumbup: Isn't it against the law to impersonate a police officer:confused: Sorry I couldn't help myself...I'll go away now:D

***Read the section on the requirements to be an animal control officer***

#88 ·
What did you think we enforce, diaries?? We "ENFORCE" the "LAW". And we are "OFFICERS", and yes, it is fine to say "LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER" when you ENFORCE THE LAW.
What part of "LAW" "ENFORCEMENT" do you not understand?? :confused:
:crazy:

#90 ·
I understand it fine. I have a LOT of friends that are LEOs and they work a lot harder to get their positions than an 80 hour course. I linked this thread to a couple of them and they vehemently believe that ACOs are NOT LEOs and they don't go to the Police Academy they go to the Animal Control Officer Academy.

I bet some of the true LEOs on here would agree with me.

#91 ·
Wow, that was low and an insult.

I never said "POLICE" Officer.
I am an L(aw) E(nforcement) O(fficer) because I enforce laws (when I worked) and I won't sit around saying I'm a CODE enforcement because it's not CODES I enforce, it is LAWS.

I guess if you don't crucify cops on this board you're subject to all sorts of insults? Thank you for that info, tucking it away for future reference :rolleyes:

#93 ·
I don't crucify cops. I am actually offended by some of the statements here that seem to put other careers on the same level as that of a police officer who goes to work everyday not knowing if they'll come home safe or at all. Sure it is a possibility for all of us but LEOs have a higher risk than that of other careers or professions.

#95 ·
Honestly, after seeing what I saw today in the EVOC class, and what I learned about Scene Safety. EMS is right there on the same level, in some areast (not everywhere but violence against EMS is increasing to thre point that some EMS agencies issue stab vests to their personnel and I heard of others that wear bullet proof vests, now I wouldn't go that far in our county).

#104 · (Edited)
I live in an area that can be dangerous, but this isn't inner city Philly or downtown LA.

Some people...wow. I think ACOs should have to have more training. An ACO with a big ego and attitude problem is more dangerous than the city they work in. The previous ACO in a small town close to me helped PASS BSL before the end of their term. ACOs are their own worse enemy a lot of the time IME. Treat someone with respect and they'll learn things from you instead of insulting and belittling them.

I'm done here. I stand by my feeling that an ACO is NOT the same as an LEO.

#106 ·
I get what you are saying and there is a difference. However aren't ACO's enforcing laws to a certain extend, even though it's specific laws?
So in some sense they are law enforcement, however, not to the same extend as Cops. They are "Animal Cops".

Not the same but they are in the same family as Cops, Firefighters, EMS... I'd count ACO in there too because we all work hand in hand.

#108 · (Edited)
In my area they have no more duties than a code enforcement officer who is also enforcing laws...so...by the same logic, they could be considered LEOs too.

Same family sure....but not the same and you sure don't have to go to the Police Academy as was suggested earlier.

I just hate seeing a very difficult job that a few of my friends do demeaned by equating it with being an ACO. I'm not discrediting anything, just defending a position from being equated with something it is not. The police officers I know work their butts off and go through the ringer with PT tests,training,academy etc. Not at all the same as what an ACO has to have.

#109 ·
In my area they have no more duties than a code enforcement officer who is also enforcing laws...so...by the same logic, they could be considered LEOs too.

Same family sure....but not the same and you sure don't have to go to the Police Academy as was suggested earlier.
okay. I'm not sure if we have code-enforcement officers in Germany or what the equivalent would be. Would you put ACO more into the same section as Park Rangers? Just as comparison?

#111 · (Edited)
.No, not really, park rangers typically are more trained and schooled than an ACO.

BTW- you don't have to go through ACO academy to be an ACO here in WA according to what I've read.

Just because I take the same classes as a Police Officer doesn't mean I went to the Police Academy. I am done here, I can't watch someone compare their 80 hour training course to going through the Police Academy.

#114 ·
I think since an arrest warrant is technically needed for an arrest anywhere (unless there are certain dangers involved) an ACO could technically have a warrant and arrest said person. This would come with a lot of back up before hand and you would pretty much need to have enough evidence to convince the suspect of the crime he/she is being charged with.

The reason I don't see an ACO arresting someone on the spot is because they aren't usually dealing with cases that require an arrest. I mean...how many animal laws are there out there that come with jail time?

#116 ·
The reason I don't see an ACO arresting someone on the spot is because they aren't usually dealing with cases that require an arrest. I mean...how many animal laws are there out there that come with jail time?
Its sad that some of these people can't face jail time for the things they do to animals. I could never be animal control and deal with people that hurt animals...it would be just to much:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.