German Shepherds Forum banner

Earthborn, TOTW, ?

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  EastGSD 
#1 ·
After hearing all the horrible side effects of nutro's natural choice and having my fur baby have incontinence, I need to switch To a new brand!

What'a better? TOTW, earthborn, or something else?

It needs to be grain free. Pref no recalls

#2 ·
I think it depends on the dog. Sasha did fantastic on TOTW, but I switched her off it because of all the recalls they were having. I'm currently considering switching her back.

Currently she is on earthborn holistic primitive natural, and while she likes it, she just doesn't do as well on it as the TOTW. I have to feed her an entire cup more a day (even though when I compared the calories between a cup of TOTW and a cup of earthborn she should have needed 3/4 cup of earthborn for every cup of TOTW. Meaning she got fed 2 cups a day on TOTW and should have only needed 1 1/2 cups on earthborn. Instead she gets fed 3 cups a day on earthborn because she can't keep on weight with it.) Because of the increase in food she also sometimes gets the runs. I'm pretty sure we're gonna finish out this bag and try something else. It's a good food; it just didn't work for her.

#4 ·
Earthborne is more calorie DENSE than TOTW. I also have to feed my Silly Sibe on a baking pan because he HOOOOVERS his food. Jolene, the "MicroShepherd" Dark Sable-ish GSD/Sheltie/Husky mix loves it and will eat every bit I put out, unlike the other foods I gave her including TOTW.

#5 ·
I switched to a food with millet, Nature's Logic and am very hapy. Lower glycemic than potatoes and a low allergy grain. I did not try the Earthborn as one of mine cant handle the flax.

#7 ·
Earthborn Holistics has had fewer recalls than TOTW. I switched my dogs to it for a while.

#11 ·
After the TOTW recall we tried Earthborn for a while as well as Nature's Logic. Earthborn just didn't sit as well with them as TOTW and Nature's Logic was way too expensive for us to be able to keep up with. In the end, we decided to just go back to TOTW because they have done so well on it. I'm still on the prowl for something else but it's tough...

#12 ·
I just had to return a bag of Earthborn Holistics cat food due to extreme mold. I called the company and left a message and they never called me. They had a local saleman call me and tell me to take it back to the store. When I told him I had a sick cat with sky high liver values that was on death's doorstep he said "hmm let me get back to you." He never called back. The cat apparently had fatty liver from not eating the food (long story) and is now recovering but this company's lack of concern and complete non-handling of the situation made me sick. I wouldn't recommend them myself to anyone.... JMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.