German Shepherds Forum banner

When to neuter a "working dog"

13K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Elektra2167 
#1 ·
One of the male puppies that I retained for our Puppy Training Program has had a request from it's future owners to have the dog neutered while in my care (the puppy stays with us until its 16 weeks old for training) As stated in my contract, I do not spay or neuter a puppy while in my care, but I am thinking they will probably want this puppy neutered eventually.
In the meantime they have also enrolled him in our personal protection dog program that begins at 6 months old. Because of the training and work they want out of this dog I really can't think of any reason to have the dog neutered other than to prevent him from impregnating another dog. I also don't like how neutering a dog sometimes makes them look a bit feminine. Just my personal preference of course, and I haven't actually worked with a neutered dog in a couple years and never for training other than socialization and obedience. So I am not aware of it inhibiting a dog's potential in that aspect.
I don't want to see this dog neutered but if they insist, what would be the best age to have the procedure done? As early as possible, or later in life? Such as 18 months or so? I'd like to have all of his training complete and then let them decide what they want to do with him as far as neutering goes. I think they are worried about him being too much for them to handle, but with proper training and consistency I really don't see that being a problem.

See less See more
#5 ·
Because I'm the breeder and the trainer of this puppy I am thinking they will decide to go with whatever I suggest to them. I am also thinking they want it done to avoid "male trait" behaviors as mentioned above. At what age would you suggest the procedure be done. I know there is a lot of back and forth on spaying time frames. Is it the same for males?

#6 ·
If they want to avoid the butthead male stage AKA teenager syndrome, I'd say 6-8 mos.
If he's going to be around a lot of girls in heat though, probably closer to 6mos. so he doesn't clue in as to breeding behaviors ;)

#7 ·
There are pros and cons to early and late. I don't push either one on anyone and let them make the decision that's right for them.

As I find the vast majority of people aren't responsible enough to have an intact dog of any age, my personal preference is to do it as early as possible.

#13 ·
:rofl: Yep!

OP - I agree it's their dog and I would personally rather see a neutered dog rather then unneutered in a novice owners hands.

#14 ·
Is there an age to do it so that the bad behavior is avoided, but they still get as large as they normally would without neutering? i.e. a perfect age. ;)
Good training and exercise is what is needed to avoid bad behavior. There is no perfect age for neutering, just pros and cons for early and late. You have to decide for yourself what works for you and your dog.

#15 ·
We just had intake of a Schnauzer x Poodle at about 7-8mos. of age, and upon meeting his new family's female (not spayed but had made an appointment, she was 12mos. or so) he became completely obsessed!

It is my belief, after working in rescue for some 10yrs., that boys at that age don't really 'know' what is going on, but have some inkling, a tiny clue, and are prone to, well, becoming obsessed and thus being a "butt head"!

Any girl not in standing heat is not going to appreciate the boy taking such an interest in her hindermost parts! My spayed girls get very testy when these "teenage boy" dogs start rooting around in their hineys!!

That's what I meant by "butthead" behavior ;)

#16 ·
Pros and cons any way you do it so I'd let the owners decide what's best. I've never had problems with my intact males and they train, play, compete, and show with intact females (yes even ones in standing heat, as that is allowed in conformation and certain performance events). My "butthead" happens to be my mix who was neutered around 3 months old. He's my humper too. Nikon, my adult intact male has never humped anything. If a female is in standing heat and he's got his snout in her you know what or is lingering where she marked or dripped then he will drool and chatter but I don't let him do this and it's not like he's trying to drag me out of the house or across a field to get to a female. Honestly it's just never been an issue, other than just having general control over a dog and training a dog manners in public and around other dogs.

#18 ·
I don't think there is an "age" to do it, I do know i'd never do it at 18 weeks of age, to young in my opinion.

I have had intact dogs up until around 2-2.5 at times, and I didn't have any problems , of course I didn't have intact females around, tho I'm sure we may have come across some out in the big wide world.

In this case I would neuter, but I'd try to put it off until atleast 18months , I speuter when growth plates have closed.

#19 ·
Have they already bought and paid for this dog and he's simply with you for training and evaluation? Is there a chance he may not work out for their needs? I wouldn't neuter until, at the very least, he's paid for 100% just in case things don't work out with these people. Most people will want him intact as a sport dog.

#20 ·
They have bought the dog and paid for training through 4 months of age. The next training program starts at 6 months of age and they seem very interested. I would like to work with the dog/puppy intact just in case the procedure does have any affect on him. I am sure that with training they will have no problems keeping this puppy/dog under control. It would just stink to put all this training into him and then for him to be neutered while with his owners between training and he come back to me... different :p I'll let them weigh the options but to protect myself I will recommend them make that choice after training is complete and he has finished growing. Funny story, the same puppy we are talking about killed a snake today! 5 weeks and one day old and he killed a snake. It was the size of a large worm... but still!!! A snake!

#22 ·
My male was intact until he was at least 4. I never had any issues with him. Since the dog is still with you and undergoing training (and I think you said you don't fix dogs when they're with you)... I would explain your policy to them and tell them that it's best to allow his training to be completed. Then AFTER they've taken possession of the dog, the choice is up to them. Ask why they are wanting the boy to be fixed so early. Maybe they're going by myths or other people's horror stores. Especially if they're first time GSD owners. I don't know if I will neuter my new boy at all. I want all that testosterone for training purposes. I've had experience in keeping intact males from females, though. It can be done. You want to really understand where they're coming from, but I see no reason to violate your own rules for them. Besides, what happens if they suddenly want to not take the dog after all of this training? If he turns out to be a fabulous sport or protection prospect, it could come back to bite you.

#26 ·
The bottom line is that neutering does not change temperament. There is just no real reason to do it unless ones dog is loose with unspayed females. I have had dogs, horses,cattle, etc etc my whole life and never had an accidental pregnancy with dogs nor livestock.

#29 ·
All our working dogs are intact, male or female. Unless there is a specific reason to neuter them, we don't. We do find some handlers prefer their dogs neutered, that is their choice, but we have never had a problem working a male or female intact. And yes all our boys learn they have to work around the girls. They may not like it initially, but they learn to work through it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.