German Shepherds Forum banner

Help with 'real' bones, please

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Mandy L. 
#1 ·
My breeder told me some bones that she gives, but I forgot to ask what animal 'knuckle bones' are from. Can someone tell me please? Also, what other 'raw' bones (that I can get from a butcher) are good for pups? Are the pig ears that you get from the pet stores OK? If you get pig ears from the butcher, what do you do with them (if anything) before giving them to your pup? I use 'bully sticks' for my Pug for bones....so I'm not overly 'in the know' on the use of raw bones or pieces/parts. Thanks!

#5 ·
I order beef knuckle bones by the case from a local meat packer. When I get them home, I wrap them individualy in plastic bags and then freeze them. I avoid alot of things at the pet store, like pig's ears, just because I never know where they're coming from and if they're coming from China I know they're probably *really* bad for my dogs.

#6 ·
As for bones, How many of you other raw feeders find bones in every room of the house? I let mine gnaw on them as long as he wants because they keep him entertained during the day while we are at work. We end up finding them in various places and sometimes step on them in the middle of night with bare feet! Ouch!

#8 ·
Just wondering... does freezing the bones count when you purchase them from non-butcher? IE: Merrick brand?

I don't freeze them. I found one rotten? It was like blackish in the middle, of the bone and marrow, so I tossed it... they sell them off the shelf in all stores though.

#9 ·
How do you give the pig ears from a butcher? Do you have to 'dry them out' or anything? Or do you just say "here you go" and give it to the pup when you get home?

I saw a knuckle bone at Petsmart. They are HUGE!! Is this OK for a 10 week old pup? Do they come smaller? This one was about the size of a softball.

#11 ·
I gave my puppy marrow bones when he was very young. Be careful with the marrow though - it's very rich and will give them the runs. His first knuckle bone was very big for him, almost as big as his head, lol. But he loved it! I prefer fresh bones, not those smoked bones from the pet stores. I don't know a thing about the ears though, sorry.

#13 ·
Beef bones - sold in grocery stores as 'soup bones'....I dont like the the ends with all the cartilage - if the dogs snarf that all down quickly, it sometimes comes back up....just raw beef bones - if there is some raw meat on them, all the better...

I don't feed any commercial 'treats' - smoked, rawhide, compressed mystery qunk stuff...

Lee

#14 ·
I've been reading about giving raw bones and saw a few comments about the ones I give my GSD.- round bones aka beef soup bones aka marrow bones.

If you FREEZE the bones and give to your dogs while fully frozen, it takes forever for them to eat out (lick out) the frozen marrow. I've had no issues with him having the runs once I started doing this. Prior to doing this he'd get them just out of the refrigerator and I think it was a matter of too much marrow too fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.