German Shepherds Forum banner

Do you prefer saddle back markings or full blanket markings on a german shepherd?

• Saddle Back

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • Blanket Back

Votes: 32 59.3%

Do you prefer saddle back markings or the blanket markings for a german shepherd?

12K views 29 replies 27 participants last post by  huntergreen 
#1 ·
I prefer the ones that are black and tan with the blanket back.

#2 ·
I like blanket backs more than saddle backs. The more black, the better!

#6 ·
Personally if I had to pick I'd choose saddle back over blanket

#9 ·
I've had and currently have blanket backs, but I've always love a saddle back black and red. Saddle back reds are what I have always envisioned the GSD breed is supposed to look like, and I've always dreamed of having one.

Not that I don't think my blanket back looks great, and I've recently became a huge fan of sables.

#12 ·
I'm leaning towards the saddle back, as my frequent questions about Thor's coloration may have led y'all to believe. BUT if Thor turns out to be a blanket back the, obviously, blanket back will be best!

#13 ·
I've had almost exclusively saddle backs... black and red. My first sable is coming. I used to not be overly fond of the sables, but over the years they've grown on me. I've also seen a few blankets that I thought were stunning.

#17 ·
I like the saddle look more. Rushie was a blanket and Ninja is, Gretta could go either way I guess. All the rest are saddles. If that is Stark in the photos, I would call that a saddle, not that it matters really. But I always thought that a blanket back is pretty much dark from the neck to the tail area, though Rush's started to fade a bit.

My blankets:
Rush:

Ninja:

Ninja's litter sister, Milla on the same day, definitely a saddle back in the making:

#19 ·
But I always thought that a blanket back is pretty much dark from the neck to the tail area, though Rush's started to fade a bit.
One thing I read said that blanket backs have black extending down to the elbow, but then what is a bi-color? Just a tiny bit of tan/red on the feet and the rest black?

This is a dog that we were going to adopt from the rescue. We were just waiting for his neuter and then we were going to bring him home, but they found a serious heart murmur when he went to be neutered. I still think he's one of the prettiest shepherds I've seen.

#18 ·
I love the saddle backs. Kayla was a saddle and most of my GSDs growing up were saddle. It's just a nice distinction...

So why weren't SABLES mentioned? It's DISCRIMINATION!!! Poor Sables, get no love. Just 'cause they look like Mals.

#21 ·
I don't care between saddle or blanket but I like a really rich, full black and not the salt and pepper or washed out look. I like my saddles to be like Stark and Nikon and a blanket to be a full blanket.

#22 ·
Blanket, simply because you will RARELY find saddle markings in working lines. They are almost non-existant. A lot more blanket backs (that's what Zeke is, and I see a lot of people wrongly label blankets as bi-colors, when in fact they have too much extension of the tans to be bi-colors).

Some old DDR lines have black and tans still. Rare though. Sable, bi-color, blacks. And some blankets.

#27 ·
Sable - darker the better
Solid Black
Dark Bi color, as little tan/red as possible

way down the list
blanket
saddle

That being my preference - there is no bad color on a good dog!!! :) :)

Lee

#29 ·
Saddle backs only, and as red and black as possible, I personally do not like blanket back or Bi or sable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.