German Shepherds Forum banner

Can you predict a puppies grown up markings?

12K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Liesje 
#1 ·
Can you tell if a puppy is going to be a saddle back or a full blanket back?

I know color/marking is the last thing you should consider when picking a puppy.

#2 ·
You can't really tell until the adult coat comes in, and even then, they can still change up until the age of 18 months or so. It can be very difficult to tell whether you'll have a saddle from a blanket until that age. However, you can get clues by looking at the parents.

#3 ·
there's nothing wrong with wanting a certain color or marking when
picking a pup. picking a color or marking doesn't mean you don't
want a healthy, strong nerved pup. you can find that special pup
in the color you want. for color i look at the parents. markings, well,
whatever happens happens. if you like the parents chances are you're
going to like their pups.

I know color/marking is the last thing you should consider when picking a puppy.

#6 ·
Yeah, nobody picks a dog because they think it's ugly. There's nothing wrong with wanting a dog that looks a certain way, unless you're willing to sacrifice health and/or temperament to get it.

#7 ·

Dooney was one of 11- I wanted a blanket back and picked one of the "blackest" pups in the litter- her entire back is black (not including her bitch stripe) but her tan/red goes up her back legs.

Dooney now

Dooney at about 5 weeks

Some of her siblings (mainly the boys) have alot more black- some have less black than her. See if they recent pics of past litters, it should give you a general feel of what the future litters will look like.

good luck !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.