German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Want to become a breeder.

25K views 195 replies 45 participants last post by  lhczth 
#1 ·
This is the only breed of dog that I like. I love training with Diesel and would like to continue taking care of more dogs. What are the proper steps I should take in order be able to achieve this.

#2 ·
Prove that Diesel is breed worthy. Does he fit the standard for GSDs? Have an experience third party judge his conformation and temperament.
Get titles on him. SchH, obedience, tracking, herding, etc. Basically any type of title that can prove his working ability.
Once he turns two years old, get him health tested. At the very minimum, have his hips and elbows OFAd.

Study his pedigree extensively. Know pretty much everything you can learn about every dog in his pedigree. What kind of dogs they're known to produce, health issues, the kind of drive they tend to pass onto puppies, etc.

A good kennel is built on the bitches, so find a GOOD female, probably one that's already proven herself (not a puppy). Likely one that already has at least her hips cleared, has good drive and temperament, etc. The all-around GSD.

Then I'll just let the others come along, because I think my post is a bit scrambled and all over the place. Hopefully that'll be a good starting point for you, though.

#3 ·
Well he's the first gsd that I've had. He looks perfect to me. I know he will succeed in any class we take. He's barely 4 months and is already in a training program. What I really want to know is if there is a set written standard in which it states how to take care of the female when she becomes pregnant?

#4 · (Edited)
Is he AKC registered with a pedigree? If not, then don't breed him.

It's easy to say your dog looks perfect, when you're biased. I have a Pom, and even though I know he doesn't fit the standard, I still think he's perfect. He's a wonderful dog. Could probably make wonderful puppies. However, I know nothing of his background, and he has horrible conformation for a Pom.

If you want, take some photos of him stacked and put him in the critique section. A lot of people can tell a puppy's potential, as far as conformation goes, with a few good pics.
Here's a video on how to stack a GSD. Pretty much the same thing with a pup. (I wouldn't expect for him to be this cooperative when you try it, if you've never done it before).

Look at the flowchart on this page and follow it.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...r/149386-should-i-breed-my-dog-flowchart.html

The only reason anyone should ever breed their dog is to try and better the breed as a whole.

As far as I know, there's no 'set' standard for whelping pups. There are a lot of people on here who are knowledgeable in that area, but you can never EXPECT anything to go as planned. Things can go wrong and you might lose the mom and/or her puppies, rush her in for an emergency c-section, she may reject the puppies, forcing you to hand raise them, etc. etc.

Breeding is not something to be considered lightly.

#6 ·
Worst case scenarios? Here's a few....

During the actual breeding - if the female tries to run away or get away after they tie, she can rip the male's penis off.

During whelping - a puppy can be breached or stuck in the birth canal, blocking the way for all the other puppies. This can result in death of all puppies and the mom if she's not taken in ASAP for an emergency c-section.
Some dogs don't make good moms and will reject their puppies. Some may just walk away and refuse to feed them, others may attack and kill a few, or all of them.
Sometimes a female will have a false pregnancy and shows all signs of being pregnant - including weight gain - but will not have puppies.
Sometimes things can cause a pregnant female to absorb her puppies.

There's so much that can go wrong - it's near impossible to list them all here. Send Selzer a PM, since she's probably one of the more knowledgeable ones on what can go wrong.

#11 ·
So glad you are taking the time to educate yourself Oscar! Keep an open mind and never stop learning!

#13 ·
Oscar, I am glad you're taking the time to re-think your decision to breed. There is already an over population of unwanted dogs. Tens of thousands of dogs are put down A DAY because there aren't enough homes. Are you willing to accept that some of your puppies would have the same fate? Or are you willing to accept that for every puppy purchased from a breeder, a dog in a shelter is put to death?

Do you realize that breeding a dog costs you thousands of dollars per litter, a price which you are not going to make back in the sales of the puppies?

Oscar, you and I are neighbors. I live near Denver as well. If you are interested in getting more involved in the breed, I would gladly help you. There are many rescues that need volunteers with training, socializing, and fosters. As well as that, Colorado has some amazing breed clubs and working dog clubs. I recommend getting yourself and your dog involved with those.

#14 ·
Yea I was looking at German Shepherd Rescue of the Rockies. Do you know anything about them? Also I still want to breed my dog. He's barely 4 months so there's a long way to go. For right now It would be greatly appreciated if you could help me get involved with said groups.

#15 ·
Don't EVER breed a dog that is not titled. This goes beyond registration. What does your dog have that makes him worth breeding? Can you prove it? These are the things you have to consider.

WHY do you want to breed your dog? Here are some valid reasons:
-He has great conformation. If that's the case, show him and get his CH title.
-He's a great working dog. If this is the case, get involved in a dog sport such as agility or schutzhund.

I haven't had any personal experience with them, but any time spent volunteering is good time spent.

#16 ·
What I don't get is that I want to breed my dog for the satisfaction. The only concern I have is to produce healthy puppies. If I better the breed good if not, oh well. The only thing I want to do is educate my self in achieving best possible puppies. The only way I wouldn't breed my dog is if I find health problems in him or if his temperament changes. By the way I am going to try and get titles for him. Not so that I can breed him, but because of the fun it will be.

#17 ·
you don't breed dogs for human satisfaction. breed them
for the good of the dog. is your dog breed worthy? i think
that attitude "if i better the breed good if not, oh well" is totally
the wrong attitude.

What I don't get is that I want to breed my dog for the satisfaction. The only concern I have is to produce healthy puppies.

>>>> If I better the breed good if not, oh well. <<<<

The only thing I want to do is educate my self in achieving best possible puppies. The only way I wouldn't breed my dog is if I find health problems in him or if his temperament changes. By the way I am going to try and get titles for him. Not so that I can breed him, but because of the fun it will be.

#20 ·
I disagree that it is irresponsible and wrong to breed for oneself. IMO that's one of the top reasons TO breed. How often on here are breeders lambasted for how many dogs they breed and sell but never hold back and train themselves? My pie-in-the-sky future goal is to earn a SchH3 (and all the other titles I do with my dogs) with a B-HOT dog. I couldn't really care less why other people breed or whether other people want me to breed or not. It's a free country. If you like my type of dog then you can probably get one and if not there are thousands of other breeders out there. I want to produce dogs that *I* feel are strong, healthy, correct, stable, courageous dogs so I can train them and exhibit them myself. The best breeders I have had the pleasure of meeting and spending time with are the ones that breed for themselves, when they are ready to carry on their bloodline and hold back a dog for their training.

Come on, on the most basic level *everyone* breeds for human satisfaction. That's why we have hundreds of years of domesticated animals, most of whom no longer perform duties required for our livelihood.

#21 ·
:thumbup: I guess that is my like button.

Personally, I get pretty scared when everyone is encouraged to breed only to improve the breed. Ick! What you think improves the breed, I might think ruins it. I think a lot of the problems in the breed today is that people tried to make their mark on the breed, in the process much has been sacrificed.

#23 ·
Thanx for the support. These people are brainwashed by all the shelters out there. The shelters see dogs get put down everyday, so in order for that not to happen they try and tell everyone not to breed their pets. Although this might have some truth to it, it doesn't apply to everyone. I consider myself a responsible person. I'm not here for people to try and tell me what to do. I'm here for information on the breed.

#25 · (Edited)
Thanks, but I'm not brainwashed by shelters, I see it first hand. I volunteer and foster and see what dogs aren't saved. The shelter is not brainwashing me to say don't breed your "pet," I can think that for myself. Even just looking at Craigslist, you can see all the people breeding their purebred "pets" just for their personal satisfaction. I am not against breeding, but breeding just to experience it is, in my opinion, wrong.

I hate the argument that a dog in a shelter dies when you breed because that puppy buyer will not rescue a dog. What's wrong with wanting to buy a dog with a proven history, who is less likely to have health problems, who is less likely to have an unstable temperament. I think buying a dog from a breeder to ensure you have a good temperament in a dog is a very reasonable thing to want. Especially when you have children in your home, or are less experienced to handle things like weak nerve, fear aggression, dog aggression, etc.

People who want that are not going to look in a shelter anyways so that dog that dies will die whether I breed it or liesje does.
This was absolutely, 100%, not my point about shelter dogs. My point was that there are thousands of people breeding just because- and there are way too many dogs in shelters that result from these types of breedings.

#31 ·
I am a real breeder. I have worked hard for years to learn all I can about German Shepherd Dogs, and I am still learning about bloodlines and types and training techniques, etc. And I have been involved with the dogs for 40+ years.

I have bred several AKC champions, many of whom were also titled in obedience, herding, agility, rally. I believe that training and titling are important because of what it teaches us about our dogs' temperaments. I have also bred 4 generations of OFA certified dogs. While I believe that temperament is most important, health ranks as a close second. I will take back a dog for any reason, and I am in contact with many of the buyers from litters years ago. This is the way I have a picture of what the perfect GSD should look like, act like, and be like, and this is how I breed my dogs.

#29 ·
I know I am not the OP. I just like what Liesje said and had to comment on it and wanted to clarify what we meant. And I personally am not necessarily promoting, or encouraging, or supporting the OP breeding. I don't know anything about them so I don't feel its my place to judge. Only to educate.

I brought it up because your post reminded me of the argument that I was disagreeing with, that's all.

#30 ·
Oscar, where did you get your current puppy from? Are they a responsible breeder? If they are maybe you could consider working with them, helping them whelp a litter and learn about raising and training these dogs from them. If they aren't that kind of a breeder, you might want to reconsider breeding your do. If they haven't done the proper research on their lines, health, temperament etc. then just because your puppy ended up OK, doesn't mean the rest of the litter is. Learning the genetic health of the lines you are working with is a huge and long process.

If your puppy isn't breeding quality and you are determined to breed good dogs that are worth their weight in gold, then just take it as a learning experience and find a breeder you can trust, who is knowledgeable, who will mentor you. This is where you will learn everything. Everyone on the internet is a professional. Which ones actually know what they are talking about it a whole other group of people.
The knowledgeable ones are usually quiet. We have some phenomenal breeders right here on this board that are a wealth of knowledge. I suggest you do some homework and find a breeder who can mentor you and you will be well on your way to your goals.

#32 ·
Does anyone feel like sharing how they first got into breeding? Did you start with a mentor, maybe co-owing a dog with another breeder? Maybe spent so much time in the dog world it was just a natural progression? Just curious how you got from point A to B. I use to breed birds but it started by accident and I had to learn as I went.

#35 ·
This would make a very good thread of its own instead of being put in the middle of this one. :)

#34 ·
First, find a good German Shepherd book on the breed. Make sure it is a book that has depth so the history of the breed is in it. Some of the better breed books are by Willis, Hart, Strickland/Moses, Lanting, Goldbrecker, and Von Stephanitz.( I own them all) you really only need one at first and read the dang thing.
Second, go to American and German conformation shows,(you can also see obedience, rally, and sometimes agility at some of these shows), go to a or some Sch/IPO trials. Also, see if you can see some police and search & rescue dogs.
Talk to people at these places and observe their dogs, engage these people in dialogue about where their dogs came from and what they do with their dogs.
If you do things this way you will save yourself a lot of heartache. Why???
Because by having read the book, you will have baseline knowledge of what the breed is. What it should look like and how it should act. There are NO personal types of GS. As you visit the different venues you will be to see which ones resonate with what you have read what the breed should be. You will not be taken in by a lot of the BS that many breeders sell to justify what they breed. I can't tell you where you will find good representatives of the breed, but if you read one of those books you will be much better equipped to appreciate the real deal.
If you do the above things and stay true to what you have learned about the breed, you should be able to have a good feel for the breed.
Good Luck!

#37 ·
I think the phrase "improving the breed" just doesn't carry any weight any more. Tons of breeders advertise that and obviously aren't improving anything other than their own bank accounts. I don't really care how the dogs are marketed, the proof is in the pudding. Can the dogs walk through a downtown parade or firework show while ignoring the crowd and being gentle with kids? Are they courageous and protective? Can they perform demanding physical tasks in all sorts of weather conditions and terrain? These are things that can be observed and sometimes even measured without a breeder insisting they are "improving" the breed. I'm more interested in seeing what the dogs are doing and have accomplished.

Also one's "improvement" is another person's nightmare. Did the extreme sloping croup or rear angulation really improve show dogs?

#38 ·
Also one's "improvement" is another person's nightmare. Did the extreme sloping croup or rear angulation really improve show dogs?
How is that "improvement"? Did that bring the GSD closer to the standard?

Of course anyone can say they are "improving" something when they are doing exactly the opposite. When I say "improving", I mean truly improving. Not exaggerating one or two features and throwing temperament out the window, as many show and sport breeders have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.