German Shepherds Forum banner

peeing and lifting leg - do males need to be trained?

4K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Kittilicious 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My 5.5 month male. lifted his leg to pee this morning, first time.. And my 2 prev males never lifted ever.. Is further training required? He peed on the exterior of the house where the chimney is. I think that the qty wasn't as much as when he squats. And after 3-4 more minutes of being outside he didn't pee again. Should I choose where he pees, for ex is the wood fence a better place than the exterior of the house relating to damage to property ? I remember in the dog park, being peed on by a few dogs while I was sitting on a chair lol.

#5 ·
Mine didn't start lifting until one day he peed on his leg. That was around 10 months old. Now he is slowly realizing he can actually pee on things like trees and posts, but many times will just lift his leg and pee on the grass. The older he got the more he "saved" pee to mark in as many places as possible. Only if he was really forced to hold it in for a while will he urinate hardcore.

I don't think you can train him where to pee unless you use some sort of scent marker. I also don't think you'll be able to force his leg down as he'll most likely stop and not understand what you're trying to do. Just be happy he pees outside not inside lol.

#7 ·
This made me laugh out loud. Why are people so concerned with whether a dog lifts his leg or not? As long as he pees normally, it should be nothing to worry about.

I would like to see someone "train" their dog to lift his leg. :D I suppose it's something trainers do for movies and such.

#8 ·
lol. i told the OP in another thread that they made
to make a video of them teaching their dog
to lift their leg to pee.

This made me laugh out loud. Why are people so concerned with whether a dog lifts his leg or not? As long as he pees normally, it should be nothing to worry about.

I would like to see someone "train" their dog to lift his leg. :D I suppose it's something trainers do for movies and such.

#9 ·
My 5.5 month male. lifted his leg to pee this morning, first time.. And my 2 prev males never lifted ever.. Is further training required? He peed on the exterior of the house where the chimney is. I think that the qty wasn't as much as when he squats. And after 3-4 more minutes of being outside he didn't pee again. Should I choose where he pees, for ex is the wood fence a better place than the exterior of the house relating to damage to property ? I remember in the dog park, being peed on by a few dogs while I was sitting on a chair lol.
It doesn't sound like the OP is asking if he needs to train his pup to lift his leg since the first sentence states that he did lift his leg. Seems to me, the OP is asking if he needs to be trained where is appropriate to pee. Could be wrong though.

OP, if you are asking what I think you are.... yes, you can train him to not pee on certain things. I don't let males pee on people's things... mailboxes, lawn ornaments, flower pots are off limits but they can mark public property such as street posts.

#11 ·
I had a spayed girl who could lift her leg to pee with the best of them. :)

#15 ·
Wolfie lifts his leg and pees all over his front leg. He always misses what he's aiming for. LOL. When he squats sometimes he looks down to see what the noise is, and pees on his face.

#18 ·
How does that old rhyme go......

Be like dad and not like sis, lift the lid before you..p***
But when your finished put it down
Or poor sister she may drown

#19 ·
Pax just started to lift his leg within the last month. He is now 11 months old. It all started with a couple of lost dogs hanging in our yard. We got the dogs back to the owner, but the marking began. He still generally squats to pee unless there is another animal's scent on his yard.

#20 ·
My Trigger was almost 2 years old before he learned to lift the leg to pee - I don't know what made the light come on - but it did.

It's natural and he will do it when he is ready.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.