German Shepherds Forum banner

Please check out my pup

13K views 70 replies 34 participants last post by  K9POPPY 
#1 ·
This is a male pup from a very reputable breeder in US. He was exam with "abnormal gum" by vet on his first visit. I called the breeder told her the issue. She explained to me that it is "normal", gsds bite have to be scissor cut form. I have to agree with her by that point. But the true is the pup's gum is abnormal. The upper jaw is overshot over 1/2 inch. Please take a look at the picture and prove that vet and me are wrong. I spend $2750 for the pup, plus shipping and health certificate total was $3050. This is the pup that a reputable breeder so called "show quality".

See less See more
#5 ·
I agree, how old is he? this looks like a wicked wicked overbite. I don't think it will correct itself:(

#8 ·
I don't think there is a #1 breeder in the US or maybe there's ALOT that claim to be:)

#9 ·
ok, here is what she reply back against the overshot jaws.

"Like I said, when all puppies are teething.. their bites can be off. It is not abnormal.
When the puppy is done teething.. and all of his adult teeth are in... we can look into the situation again.
I would expect that the puppy's bite would be correct when he has time like all puppies to go through this process. It takes time to raise them and give them time to get these things done. "

I had raised two gsd before and none of them had this issue while they were teething. Guess, I have to listen to the breeder? The jaws of gsd would became overshot during teething period?

#10 ·
ahhh no:( Sure some can be "off", but his is grossly OFF, did you show a picture to the breeder?? and again how old is he??? His teeth aren't "off" his JAW is off, way overshot. his teeth will probably grow in fine, but his bite is going to be overshot.

It also may affect where the canines 'place' on his top jaw:(( poor guy,,does he eat ok?

#12 ·
I don't see why the jaw would become an overbite during the teething process. I honestly think she is jerking your chain, and to claim they are the #1 breeder in the USA is just an advertisement. No one knows who the #1 breeder is haha. As for correcting itself...that seems improbable, but don't know if it will negatively effect the dog down the road.

#14 ·
I'm so sorry to hear it turned out this bad for you with a show quality purchase. Thats just not fair :(

#15 ·
Did you plan on showing, working or breeding the puppy?
If you don't plan to do any of those things, I wouldn't bother sending the puppy back. It will just cost you even more money and cause stress on the dog.
It's vey difficult to get your money back or even part of your money back from any breeder which is why you have to do your research before the purchase.

#44 ·
i don't think that's true with all breeders and you
shouldn't lump all breeders together when talking about
policies. i had a deposit on a pup and things didn't work out.
the breeder gave my deposit back without any hassle and it
was suppose to be a non-refundable deposit which was explained
to me from the begining of our talks.

It's vey difficult to get your money back or even part of your money back from any breeder which is why you have to do your research before the purchase.

#16 ·
well I wouldn't return him either, but that's just me,,I would most likely wait it out and see what develops when his adult teeth DO come in, have him re evaluated by the vet , if it's still as 'off' as it is now, I'd be sending the breeder the vet evaluations.

Who knows, I could very well be wrong and maybe his bite will straighten out, but I kinda doubt it:(

#17 ·
wow.... i've never seen an overbite that bad before. You need to have your vet write a letter stating the bite is way off and wont correct itself even after teething. Then you need to get a second opinion and have that vet do the same and send certified copies of both to the breeder. Thats a bite thats not going to correct itself and can cause some serious issues down the line for the pup. Plus, waiting until teething is done will on serve to get you more attached to the pup which i have a feeling is the breeders plan so you dont want a replacement pup or your money back.

#20 ·
I had spend almost $4000 for this pup already. I do not want to get myself into a money pit anymore. I am asking the breeder to refund me $2750 which is the cost of the puppy, or pay the shipping and send me another pup that is worth $2750.

#19 ·
How long have you had the puppy for? I don't know if waiting until all of the adult teeth are in is smart because that will certainly take an extended period of time, and after that you are probably guaranteed to not get anything back from the breeder. You are in a tough boat sir...I'm sorry that it had to work out like this for you.

#25 ·
Big overbite.

Some correct, some don't.

If you're not going to show him/breed him, it shouldn't be a problem unless the lower teeth cut into the top of his mouth.

#26 ·
I have a dog with a horrible tooth alignment. In the future, I'll probably have to have the top incisors removed,because they are cutting into the bottom jaw. So far she's doing ok at almost 6 yrs old/rawfed. Had I had Kacie as a pup, I would have tried to have them fixed with braces, but she was 21 mos when I adopted her.

I would ask for a refund and go with another breeder...the breeder surely was aware of that alignment, or should have been before sending the pup to you. I wouldn't want to go with another pup from that kennel, especially if you specified you wanted to show.

#30 ·
Here is what she said: (I took out the kennel name)

" I am not trying to be rude in any way, but I already have policy here at xxxxxxxx regarding sales and returns, etc. We have the most open, upfront, honest breeding policies anywhere in the country, and we stand behind every puppy sale for our puppy owners. I will not be making any "new" policies to what we already offer. If you want to return your puppy, at any time, you are more than welcome to do so and you will be offered a replacement puppy of equal value as available. ( I don't have puppies always directly on hand to ship immediately, so you may want to check on the next available litter that we could do a replacement puppy from). Shipping expenses are always the responsibility of the buyer. We do not offer free shipping."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.