German Shepherds Forum banner

Scariest thing your GSD have done

9K views 67 replies 49 participants last post by  DellaWrangler 
#1 ·
Whta is the scariest thing your GSD have done to you?

Phenix really scared us when he was around 6 months old. We were at the dog park. I don't know if I will be able this describe it clearly, but the park is on a small hill.

It's a field owned by the city, so they have built a garage into the hill to store their tools. You can imagine: they digged into the hill, so there is a hole on one side of the hill, but no fence to protect dogs from falling into it.

Phenix was never approching this whole, until one day, when a guy threw a ball in that direction. Our little boy was so focussed on it, he didn't see the edge and felt 8 feets downs into the hole :shocked:.

No sounds. No movements. We were freaking out. I ran there and he was sitting there, looking at me, not realizing/understanding what had just happen:crazy:. Thankfully, he was all right, not injured. I was so happy! :wub:

From there, I wrote a letter to the city to ask them to put a fence around the entry of the garage because it was not only dangerous for dogs, but also for young children. No response. They never did anything to correct the problem. :mad:

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a spot on the river we go to that has rock to jump off of into a deep swimming hole, about 12-15 feet to the water. One day I jumped off the rock and once in the water, see one of my dogs teetering on the spot where I'd just jumped, only to see him leap off the edge and crash into the water next to me. He'd never followed me to that spot before and it scared me pretty badly, I can't imagine a jump into the water like that is very good for their chest as they are basically doing a belly flop.

#3 ·
When Echo was about 3 months old we were play-tracking in the woods. It was spring and there was quite a bit of slush and ice and mud everywhere. She trotted onto a patch of what we all thought was ice covering the trail, and fell through! Seems the ice wasn't over the trail, it was over a drainage ditch beside the trail. Poor girl went completely under and popped back up...my husband jumped in to get her out. The water was over 3' deep and COLD! Didn't dampen her spirits for the water by any means.....

#5 ·
When Echo was about 3 months old we were play-tracking in the woods. It was spring and there was quite a bit of slush and ice and mud everywhere. She trotted onto a patch of what we all thought was ice covering the trail, and fell through! Seems the ice wasn't over the trail, it was over a drainage ditch beside the trail. Poor girl went completely under and popped back up...my husband jumped in to get her out. The water was over 3' deep and COLD! Didn't dampen her spirits for the water by any means.....
About a month and a half ago I was out shoveling off my deck due to a large snow fall... Ginger spotted soemthing she thought she needed to go after and jumped off the deck, probably a solid 12-15 feet from the top of the deck to where she landed on the ground... As soon as she hit the ground, she looked up at me with a "Oh ****" expression on her face, than ran around the yard chasing a squirrel in the trees... No injuries this time around... Needless to say, no more going on the deck when there is snow on the ground... I dont think she would be dumb enough to do it again in the summer...
Why the **** do they need to jump everywhere! ;)

#4 ·
About a month and a half ago I was out shoveling off my deck due to a large snow fall... Ginger spotted soemthing she thought she needed to go after and jumped off the deck, probably a solid 12-15 feet from the top of the deck to where she landed on the ground... As soon as she hit the ground, she looked up at me with a "Oh ****" expression on her face, than ran around the yard chasing a squirrel in the trees... No injuries this time around... Needless to say, no more going on the deck when there is snow on the ground... I dont think she would be dumb enough to do it again in the summer...

#6 ·
What is it with these leaping GSDs??!!

Our scariest moment with Heidi (other than the time she got out of the yard when we first got her!) was when we were at a beach and Heidi and I were up on a cliff that was at least 12 feet high. Dave was below us and further away and waved his hand for her to come down. We both thought she would go down the same way she came up--via the path. But she leaped forward and hit the sand really hard. She started yelping really loud and we thought, "Oh no, how are we going to get her to the car?" (Since she never allowed us to pick her up.) We thought for sure she had broken at least one of her legs.

But then she looked around and took off running and was perfectly fine. Scared the you-know-what out of us though!

Here she is right before she leaped. The height was about twice what's shown in the photo.

#7 · (Edited)
Scariest moment was my last dog, who had a mortal enemy next door. The kids next door got their dog to fence fight with her, and poked sticks at her time after time until she wanted to attack the dog any time she saw it in our yard or out of it's yard, and they just let the dog run loose.

One day we were out in the front yard, her nemesis goes to chase a car doing about 45mph down the street, but is chasing from the other side of the street, county road actually.

Before I realized what was going on my dog was full sprint on an intercept course for the dog, who was getting a lead on the car and setting up to chase at the moment, she was totally ignoring the car and too late to call her off as she was already hitting the road.

She crashed into the side of the car at full sprint, luckily she hit the side of the front tire and bounced off and the only damage was a skinned tire burn spot on her chest.

Scared me to death though, I was certain she was a goner. One foot either way from where she hit the car and she would have been squashed.

She ran back utterly shocked and forgot all about her nemesis.

She later figured out she could easily leap the fence, and chased the dog into it's garage from my fence and taught it what for until it squeezed itself under their car, with the two little girls screaming and crying still holding the stick they were poking her through the fence with. It never came to the fence again, nor did the little girls.

#8 ·
Scariest moment was my last dog, who had a mortal enemy next door. The kids next door got their dog to fence fight with her, and poked sticks at her time after time until she wanted to attack the dog any time she saw it in our yard or out of it's yard, and they just let the dog run loose.

One day we were out in the front yard, her nemesis goes to chase a car doing about 45mph down the street, but is chasing from the other side of the street, county road actually.

Before I realized what was going on my dog was full sprint on an intercept course for the dog, who was getting a lead on the car and setting up to chase at the moment, she was totally ignoring the car and too late to call her off as she was already hitting the road.

She crashed into the side of the car at full sprint, luckily she hit the side of the front tire and bounced off and the only damage was a skinned tire burn spot on her chest.

Scared me to death though, I was certain she was a goner. One foot either way from where she hit the car and she would have been squashed.

She ran back utterly shocked and forgot all about her nemesis.

She later figured out she could easily leap the fence, and chased the dog into it's garage from my fence and taught it what for until it squeezed itself under their car, with the two little girls screaming and crying still holding the stick they were poking her through the fence with. It never came to the fence again, nor did the little girls.
:shocked:

#9 ·
When I was a child, we took our GSD to the beach camping with us all the time. One day while us girls (4 sisters) were romping around in the surf, Gretchan decided to chase the waves. She took off headed straight to Mexico. We screamed for her, but she kept going. My dad jumped in and just barely caught up with her. My mother made us all come out of the water (so she could help my dad). By the time they made it to shore, poor Gretchen was so tired we had to hold her head up so she could drink. My dad had huge scratches on his chest, belly & upper legs from where Gretchen continued to swim even after he had her. Gretchen recovered herself shortly thereafter but my mom made her stay close to her.

Funny, I remember my dad feeding her a hambuger pattie from the grill that afternoon. He refused to feed the dog human food, but I suppose he was so worried that he had lost her, he grilled her a burger too!

And for all you dads out there, all 4 of us girls really thought my dad was some sort of super hero after that. "Dad swam almost to Mexico to bring Gretchen back."

#10 ·
The scariest thing my first GSD Nancy used to do was stand at the top of the basement stairwell barking, snarling and growling into the dark empty basement like the devil himself was downstairs.

I would then close the door and tell Nancy, "Whatever it is that you sense or smell I cannot detect and I need to go the basement periodically so we'll ignore it okay. Thank you"

#11 ·
The scariest thing my first GSD Nancy used to do was stand at the top of the basement stairwell barking, snarling and growling into the dark empty basement like the devil himself was downstairs.

I would then close the door and tell Nancy, "Whatever it is that you sense or smell I cannot detect and I need to go the basement periodically so we'll ignore it okay. Thank you"
Ok - that would just freak me out totally. I've seen to many scary movies that begin like that!:eek:

#12 ·
Oh, this happened about an hour ago.. she jumped the gate on the deck and ran up to the road... followed by my 4 year old. They were both up at the top of the driveway. My road is posted 25 but ppl fly on it. There was a child killed about 100ft down from where they were at.

I'm gonna have nightmares and I can't even think about it.. really.. I just keep thanking God that they're alright... I think I"m gonna lose some sleep, and perhaps some hair, tonight!

#14 ·
I know, the second she saw me, she came running all happy and smiles.. and COVERED in MUD! I hosed her off and brought her inside.. can't really yell at her, she came when called.. she's just a baby..

Invisible fence is now on top priority list! I know it's not a 100% solution, but it helps greatly...

#15 ·
One of the scariest things for me was i worked at an agricultural college in the uk running the stables. I had left kobe playing with his friend the lurcher and owner when one of the liveries came in saying that they didnt know kobe could round up sheep. The week previous one of the lecturers show dogs had killed one and in the uk the dog can be shot for harrassing sheep, or put down by court order. So you can imagine how panicky i felt but there he was sheep all in the corner standing guard. Still never let him get to the sheep again he was also kicked in the head by a horse who he was also trying to round up after it got away from the owner he didnt even break stride and was fine after being checked out. He has done lots of things to scare the **** out of me bless him. Now its over to the hound mix rescue we have whos goal is to gross us out if its dead or smells disgusting he rolls in it.

#19 ·
they say animals sense stuff it would just freak me out too, i was dogsitting for a friend of mine she was spaniel and i lived in a very old 19th century house and we had gone to bed when she fixated on a corner in the room barking growling etc. Tried switching on the light no effect so bottled out and slept on the couch lol my gsd was oblivious but freaked me out!!

#20 ·
One night I came home and immediately saw several spots of vomit on the white carpet. Kenya came running over and seemed OK, but then I found a chewed prescription bottle. My DH is on anti-seizure medication. He is tall and athletic, over 200lbs and I think he takes 200mg but this dose he had to work up to slowly, b/c this drug can cause a fatal skin rash. Kenya on the other hand is 50lbs and there were half a dozen pills left, all demolished. She had vomited about 7 times. I called the vet and threw her in the van. They really did not know what to do, since even in humans this is not a common medication. The vets had nothing to based in on for dogs. He did a basic exam and their best answer was for me to watch her closely for 24 hours. The drug is metabolized quickly, so hopefully she had started vomiting immediately. At that point there was nothing they could do and no reason to induce more vomiting. I asked about her liver and whether we needed to check it, and the vet said he didn't want to because he would expect it to be totally out of whack and didn't want to scare me. Since the liver regenerates, as long as the dog seemed OK after 24 hours, I shouldn't worry.

I had panicked at home but the vet was very honest and reassuring. He told me that if she had chewed a bottle of Tylenol she might be dead already. He offered to keep her at the hospital but they had no night staff so I opted to take her home and watch her. The next day I snuck her into my work and made a dog bed under my desk.

This happened around Thanksgiving and there seems to have been no effect, other than me crating her again. She always was perfect in the house but had been looking for plastic containers to chew. To get DH's meds she had to get them out of his toiletry case (he has an extra set of everything that he takes to work when he works out). Now she is crated.

#21 ·
My GSD Sinister scared the daylights out of me 2 nights ago. I dont live in the most fantastic neighborhood, usually people get shot at about 3 blocks away from my house in any direction. My street seems to be in a "safe bubble". Anyways my boyfriend had gone to sleep and it was just me and Sin watching an episode of Dog Whisperer "Most Aggressive Breeds and GSD's were number 2 on the list I believe :mad:." So I'm sitting on the couch and Sin is laying next to the couch and he starts growling. At first I thought he was snoring (he snores and its kinda loud) but then he gets up and the hair on the back my his neck is kinda raised and he runs at the front door, starts barking and showing his teeth, while digging at the bottom of the door. Now I'm freaking out :eek:, I run and wake up my BF and have him go out there with Sin and check it out :blush:. What do they find??? Nothing. Scared the poo right out of me I tell you.

#26 ·
he gets up and the hair on the back my his neck is kinda raised and he runs at the front door, starts barking and showing his teeth, while digging at the bottom of the door.
He sure wasn't doing it for nothing! Someone or something was close enough to get his attention. If there is one thing I learned from my last GSD, it was always believe the dog. Don't second guess them because they know something is wrong way before we do.

#22 ·
Well I wasn't there when this happened, but it's still scary to think about.
A few years ago, we were living in an apartment in Germany, it was the 2nd floor but it was 1.5 stories up since there was half a staircase to the main floor.

Normally we'd leave Djenga loose in the spare bedroom when we went out...she didn't need to be crated but I didn't trust her loose in the whole house. So the back room it was. It was summertime, and my husband and I were going grocery shopping. We opened the window (no A/C in Germany) and left her in the bedroom.

When we came back, our neighbor was standing outside with a GSD on a leash, and I thought to myself "Wow that looks just like Djenga...when did they get a dog??"
We got out of the car and she came up to me - it WAS Djenga!!! I asked how she got out and the neighbor told me that the kids had set up their kiddy pool right under our window, and were out there playing when she jumped through the screen and out the window to go play.

Djenga is completely obsessed with water and splashing it drives her crazy. I never thought about the kids with the pool tempting her to jump out the window! But luckily she wasn't hurt at all, and she is the friendliest dog and always played with the kids all the time when I took her out, so they weren't afraid to catch her for me.

#30 ·
Yeah I know, city is dumb.

I work for lawyers and I wrote a Demand letter to the city. In this Demand letter, I wrote that if Phenix develop any anomalies (regarding hips, legs, or other bones) during his growing, or after and if this was relates to the acident, I will, for sure, take the city for responsible of it. Never got any answer, but I do keep all proofs with me.

#28 ·
The scariest thing Sigurd has done was eat pieces off of a block of mouse poison (we were at a friends when it happened). We induced vomiting and gave him a laxative and got him on a round of Vitamin K pills for 2 weeks. I wrote all about it on here when it happened. The second scariest thing was when he had some sort of "seizure" episode a couple weeks after eating the poison (it was so sad and scary to watch :(). I asked my Vet about it, and since it was a one time thing, she didn't feel it necessary to put him through testing, medications, etc. It's possibly related. He's been fine ever since that one episode - thank God!

#29 ·
scariest thing with maryjane is when we first got her she was very skiddish, when the front door was open she would dart out. well one day she took off and i chased her like two blocks down. and well she ended up in a yard with this huge chained up pit. and the pit started attacking her and maryjane couldnt get up. she finally got away. thank god she was not seriously hurt. but i have never been that scared for her ever. thank god since then she has gotten better and has not tried that again.

#31 ·
I know this is anthromorphizing our dogs but it would be funny if they were chatting at the dog park.

Dog one: Hey buddy, OMG I have to tell you the funniest thing I did the other day.
Dog two: Oh, yeah... Go ahead. Tell me what you did.

Dog one: I just starting barking and snarling into their spare bedroom like there was a ghost in there. I scared the poop out of everyone it was so funny.
Dog two: OMG, that is awesome, I have to do that too.
Dog one: Hey, they're coming over... act natural.

#32 ·
"My GSD Sinister scared the daylights out of me 2 nights ago. I dont live in the most fantastic neighborhood, usually people get shot at about 3 blocks away from my house in any direction. My street seems to be in a "safe bubble". Anyways my boyfriend had gone to sleep and it was just me and Sin watching an episode of Dog Whisperer "Most Aggressive Breeds and GSD's were number 2 on the list I believe :mad:." So I'm sitting on the couch and Sin is laying next to the couch and he starts growling. At first I thought he was snoring (he snores and its kinda loud) but then he gets up and the hair on the back my his neck is kinda raised and he runs at the front door, starts barking and showing his teeth, while digging at the bottom of the door. Now I'm freaking out :eek:, I run and wake up my BF and have him go out there with Sin and check it out :blush:. What do they find??? Nothing. Scared the poo right out of me I tell you."

:eek:He did this again 2 nights ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

My friend and I were watching a movie in the living room and my dog is laying in my room sleeping. Out of nowhere he comes flying out of my room and runs to the door snarling, barking, hair standing and digging at the door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I looked outside and didn't see anything but now I am completely freaked out! Something is going on! I dont know what it is and I dont know if I truly want to know but it's the scariest feeling in the world!

#33 · (Edited)
When Cody was about 4 months he escaped my yard by digging a hole under the fence, the kicker was some how he was able to dig around a log so when I went out there looking for him I wasn't able to see the hole. I freaked out and thought someone had stolen him. A few minutes later I see Cody coming back under the fence wagging his tail like nothing happened. Sometimes I think he was switched with another GSD puppy, lol. You always wonder... lol

Another time was when he was in my room he started starring at the closet. Did nothing but stare for a while. It freaked me out so much that I didn't sleep in my room for a few months....

Another time was when he ate a battery, I thought for sure he had gotten "burnt" by the acid. Also, when he was about 3 we had to take him to the emergency room because his tummy started getting bigger but thank goodness it wasn't bloat, the air hadn't reached there yet, it was only in his intestines.
I'm sure there is more but I just can't remember, lol.

With Isa, when we first got her, she starting "siezuring" or that is what it looked like, she was very jerky in her movements and she had a hard time walking and was shaking. Took her to the vets, did many tests and found out there was nothing wrong with her. She has never done anything like that since then.

She also had a very similar episode like Cody's with gas in the intestines. That was freaky since it happened to Cody.

I could tell MANY stories with Akbar...lol

The first few nights with Akbar was ok until the next night. He had gotten his mouth stuck wide open in the wire crate we had him in, was shrieking, crying, screaming, trying every noise he could make and shaking his head to get it unstuck from the crate bars. I was freaking out trying to get his mouth unstuck and finally was able to. For the next few days after that he had a huge swollen muzzle.

When he was a little baby, 3 months, and was out in the chain link kennel, I heard this loud screech and came running out to see Akbar's head stuck in a few links as he tried to pry them apart to get out. At 3 months he was able to lift the bottum of the kennel, had to zip tie them, then a little older he was able to rip some links out and get out that way, then around 7 months he was able to rip the door off...(He's a great escape artist in a chain link kennel but so far as yet to get out of our thick steel kennel we have now.)

Then just last month I came downstares and saw the #500 kennel's side ripped out, that scared me as I didn't think he could rip that out. Had to put him back in the wire even though I dreaded to do that as I didn't want to use my nice #500 kennel that goes in the car. A few nights later as I was headed off to bed at 1:30am I hear Akbar doing quiet whimpering. He NEVER whimpers, ever. So I race in there and he has mouth stuck AGAIN in the wire crate. This time he got his upper jaw stuck near the crate's flooring where a piece of thick wiring was pulled out when it was Cody's old crate back when he was a puppy. I forgot that was Cody's old crate that had that as Isa doesn't have a destructive behavior so I forgot to put Akbar temporarily in Cody's new one. Well, I(he) paid the price and Akbar was stuck there while I was screaming and crying trying to get him out. And you know what, all he did that entire time was make little whimper noises, that's it. No screaming, crying, making loud noises, just whimpering. He is such a hard headed stubborn dog that it didn't faze him, it was just a minor annoyance on his part. He was finally able to get it out himself but man I almost had a heart attack. The strange thing is, his car crate is wire and he never does anything to it, doesn't even destroy his bed yet if we put anything in his crate in the house he will tare it to shreds. Odd boy. After the night though I did bring in that nice kennel and it's now in my room, had to move stuf and take things out to fit that big crate in.. Sleeps like a baby now....

Another that scared the crap out of me was when he chewed on an extension cord. This was couple weeks ago. We were in the computer room and normally Akbar just lays down and either sleeps or chews on a bone or plays with a toy. Everything was quiet, no sounds until I hear the most wierd sound I have ever heard come out of a dog. It was not a bark, a yelp, but more like an actual scream. I have never heard a dog scream like this. It was a quick scream. I turned around so fast and there is Akbar looking at me with a sickening look or more like a dopey look and there's the cord biten up and it was turned on!! This is why the cords are almost always put up around here... Must have forgotten to for some reason.

Akbar's goal right now, is to get into EVERYTHING he can. Gotta love stubborn puppies....lol

#34 ·
When Zeus was a pup, I had taken him with me to sign papers to start my last job. I finished and walked out with my manager so she could meet him. I took his leash off to detach it from where I had tied him to. He slipped his collar, ran towards the street and ran into the side of a moving car. I ran to him to make sure he was ok, he thought I was mad at him so he ran and almost got hit by another car before I could grab him. We got lucky because besides being scared, nothing else was wrong with him.

#35 ·
On a windy day I let her into the yard and went back in. 5min later I was back and she was gone!
The wind had flung the gate wide open.
I went running to put shoes on and some real pants and so I could run around the neighborhood looking for her. Turns out she was a house over playing with my neighbor who happened to be out in his garage working on his car. He said he saw her walking alone almost tip toeing around like if she KNEW she shouldn't be out on her own. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.