German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recommend Breeders in S. MD or N. VA Please

14K views 56 replies 25 participants last post by  Mister C 
#1 ·
Can I get any recommendations for breeders in Southern Maryland or Northern Virginia?

I unexpectedly had my dog pass this last weekend, I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and was missing him as it was.....he was lab/chow mix and I know I can't replace him but want to fill the void somewhat.....I return in 2 months and have been trying to scope out potential breeders via the net and have been reading a lot of the "Choosing Breeders" and "Choosing a pup" guides. I live in Southern Maryland and am looking for a large short hair female GSD for family companion/protection but would also like the option to do some Schutzhund training.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I've already started talking to Misty Ridge Kennels in New Windsor, MD if anyone has had any experience with them.

#56 ·
We have a MistyRidge pup. He is 7 months old now. Joyce seems to breed for good stable temperaments. We told her that we were interested in schutzhund but weren't trying for top titles. We weren't interested in showing the dog or breeding. We did want a dog that would be obedient when we went out hiking and doing dog sports but not so strong that it would be difficult living with him in our house.

So far we are very happy with our pup. He loves working in the training field. He loves hiking going out and about with us. And as he matures he settles down nicely in the home.

#5 ·
Originally Posted By: dresdenmisty ridge would be joyce b. right? she has very nice dogs, i used one of her males as a stud years ago~ her pups are now priced out of my league....but if you have the money and like what she has to offer go for it!
A couple of supplemental questions then, from my research so far I thought I would be looking at about $1500 on up. I know prices vary but what's the median these days? Also, any future breeding......will I be asked to forfeit any future breeding rights on males or females?

#6 ·
Most likely you will forfeit any future breeding rights on either a male or female UNLESS you and the breeder agree to the "breeding" price of the pup via contract. Also, don't try and cheat your way out of paying the extra "breeding" price by not neutering/spaying because then you'll be giving up your rights to the puppy's papers.

#7 ·
Most good breeders sell their pups on limited registration.
Then when the pup clears health certs and has the agreed on titles the breeder will lift the limited and your dog can then be bred

#9 ·
Originally Posted By: Barb E.Most good breeders sell their pups on limited registration.
Then when the pup clears health certs and has the agreed on titles the breeder will lift the limited and your dog can then be bred
Ahhh....that sounds more than fair, thanks Barb. I understand the health aspects but what about titles? I'm interested in exploring Schutzhund training, but nothing more than that.

Also, after reading some of the other threads in this forum I would feel comfortable in have a reputable breeder making a choice for me and shipping the pup in......am I missing any aspects in that regard?

#11 ·
I don't think Barb was judging a breeder, I agree w/ her, if the dog clears the criteria, then full registration is granted.
Better to give a limited to be sure your kennel name/reputation as a breeder is intact, if a buyer decides to make unethical choices with one of your pups.
Originally Posted By: spur0701Also, after reading some of the other threads in this forum I would feel comfortable in have a reputable breeder making a choice for me and shipping the pup in......am I missing any aspects in that regard?
I would be comfortable having a pup shipped, as long as I had a relationship w/ the breeder, and researched as much as I could before putting a reserve on a pup. This <u>link</u> has what to look for in a good breeder, and you can also see their purchase information on the site.
And Thank you for serving!!

#12 ·
Originally Posted By: larrydee33Most good breeders sell their pups on limited regestration WRONG.
This is a total myth. You can not judge a breeder solely on whether they sell their pups on limited regestration!!!
I have read and re-read the posts. I fail to see where anyone suggested a single trait as the basis for judging the quality of a breeder?

I agree with Barb, and might phrase it this way. It is a common characteristic of good breeders to sell their pups with limited registration. Once the dog demonstrates breed worthiness, then full registration, ie breeding rights, is provided. Breed worthiness, for a working line GSD, would be a herding or schutzhund title.

#14 ·
Thank you Jane and Wayne for understanding what I was trying to say last night, I must not have said it well.

I did not mean in anyway to say that there is one single thing that makes a breeder a great breeder. It's many things that makes a good breeder. But again, and I feel pretty strongly here, it's not someone that just throws a couple of dogs together and sells the pups.

As for shipping, I'm with Jane. I'd have a pup shipped in a heart beat (In fact will, if I can ever get myself in the place to have another pup!) from a breeder I trust, and that trusts me.

#17 ·
Originally Posted By: Wayne02 It is a common characteristic of good breeders to sell their pups with limited registration. Once the dog demonstrates breed worthiness, then full registration, ie breeding rights, is provided. Breed worthiness, for a working line GSD, would be a herding or schutzhund title.
I disagree, especially with the last sentence.

I don't like one way roads. I don't like when buyers have to trust breeders but breeders do not reciprocate.

Actually, I don't have a problems with limited registration except that it often comes with the requirement to neuter the dog which I would do only for medical reasons even if the dog is never bred.

#18 ·
My take on it is, If I were the breeder and granted full registration with my kennel name on a pup, then the buyer went and bred said pup without doing proper health/temperament clearances, or bred the pup before maturity, offspring may have issues that would ultimately come back to my kennel.
I'd rather my puppy owners do proper health/temperament testing to be sure the genetics were worth passing on to future generations, or not if they didn't pass the criteria.
If the contract would expect you to neuter, then you don't have to sign it or buy from that breeder, there is a choice.

#19 ·
Clifton We have gone round and round on this whole limited regestration thing here on this forum.
I don't buy it. As you know take a look at Germany how many breeders over there use limited regestration? Far and few between if any!!

A quick story illustrates my point. A year and a half ago a good friend of mine on this forum who has been on here for years and myself were each looking into buying a pup.

She told me I'm going with this breeder. I looked at the puppy contract and told her she had to be completely out of her mind to sign that thing. She had no rights none what so ever. What if you can't keep the puppy what if the pup has health problems etc on and on. Everything is at the breeders discretion everything except you paying in full for the pup.
Well to make a long story short the pup had serious health problems right from the get go and the breeder denied it. She wanted a dog she could title this pup just didn't have the temperment even though the breeder said the pup did again on and on.
Well I hated to say it but I told her I told you so. She tried to post on here the story and it was deleted. You should have seen the e-mail she sent me about this breeder Whew was she mad.
But she had no rights the breeder held all the cards. What do you do then? Light a candle at church and pray not bad advice.
Maybe she will see this and chime in. But when you have serious problems like this and you sign a limited regestration please tell me what do you do?

#20 ·
Originally Posted By: onyx'girlMy take on it is, If I were the breeder and granted full registration with my kennel name on a pup, then the buyer went and bred said pup without doing proper health/temperament clearances, or bred the pup before maturity, offspring may have issues that would ultimately come back to my kennel.
I'd rather my puppy owners do proper health/temperament testing to be sure the genetics were worth passing on to future generations, or not if they didn't pass the criteria.
If the contract would expect you to neuter, then you don't have to sign it or buy from that breeder, there is a choice.
Jane, of course everyone has a choice. Aren't we in 'Choosing a breeder' section?

If I were a breeder I'd rather make sure that my puppies go to good homes. I would do everything possible to research the buyers and then I would TRUST them. It would be very hard for me to view my clients as potential abusers of my puppies. If I saw some red flags then I would not sell them a puppy and I would not rely on any contracts.

If they would break my trust then I would take care of the consequences of MY decision to sell them puppies.

But as I said, I don't like one way roads.

#21 ·
larryydee, I don't see what your story has to do with limited vs full registraton? It has to do with a breeder who did not honour her contract, or the spirit in which the contract was signed.

I'm with Jane here - more important that you have a good reciprocal relationship with the breeder - check for references, get feedback from others who have dealt with this breeder, etc. Not that it guarantees anything, but you as a buyer have to do your part.

I'm okay with either way - limited or full, sorta silly that people take a limited registration as a personal insult. I think breeders have a right to try and protect their good name and not want some week-end yahoo undo all their hard work and reputation by going ahead and breeding a dog they got without health clearance, or without demonstrating proper drives and temperament through the process of titling. A good breeder will take the buyers plans for the puppy into consideration, and good breeder work with the buyer to come to a mutually satisfying outcome. I actually would lean more towards a breeder that does do limited only as that tells me that they care about the puppy they sell past the time that money exchanges hands.

And I have a very strong feeling that Cliff only sells his dogs to people he feels he knows very well and are on the same page as him when it comes to rearing a dog, and dealing with the dog in an ethical way.

More than the paperwork, what makes a good breeder stand out is the relationship they have with the buyer. My breeder sells on limited, but to have an AKC puppy registered by the Canadian Kennel Club, I needed full registration - which I got, no problem, because we have a mutually respectful relationship.

#23 ·
Not knowing enough people at that personal level? Not having all those contacts?

The limited is just a safety net, among many other safety nets. It shouldn't be used as the defining item that separates good breeders from bad breeders, and that is what some people are trying to do.

What I really don't agree with, is selling "breeding rights" for more money. How do you know when looking at an 8 week old which one is breed worthy, and which on is not? Same exact puppy, going for more because of different paperwork?

#24 ·
Some breeders don't have a waiting list for their pups, and then have 4~ left over 16 week old puppies to deal with. So, they aren't as choosy as to who their pups go to. Of course those pups will be sold with full registration.
Kennels with many litters on the ground selling "Champion Bloodlines" or "World Class", AKC registered, people think they are getting the best because they do no research, but that contract sure looks good.
Sorry OP to get your thread derailed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.