Re: Our Dogs Menus
Here's what mine are eating this month. Our menu changes every couple of months, always rotating in a new protein or two. The only consistent item that's usually on the list is chicken. It's just too cheap not to be a staple. I also weigh every meal.
Luca: 2 yr old neutered GSD, 100 lbs. average activity level. 13 oz. meals, twice a day. Luca tends to be pudgy, so his meal sizes have been gradually reduced from 17 oz. meals when he was a puppy.
Fanny: 1 yr. old spayed Cardigan Corgi, 29 lbs. average activity level. 5 oz. meals, twice a day. Fanny gulps, so bone-in stuff gets pre-chewed a bit with the meat cleaver.
• chicken leg quarters
• turkey necks
• duck necks
• ground lamb
• pork hearts
• chicken livers
• canned mackerel - 1 can a week split between the two dogs
• canned sardines - 1 can a week split between the two dogs
• 2-3 eggs per week (with all the necks lately, I haven't been giving the shells right now--usually they do get the shells)
• yogurt--bedtime snack (Luca 3 tablespoons, Fanny 1 tablespoon)
SUPPLEMENTS: these powders get mixed into their yogurt
Fanny 1/3 teaspoon total, Luca 1 teaspoon total
• brewers yeast
• Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM/Vit C - Luca only
• Veggie powder that includes powdered kelp, wheatgrass, barley grass, carrot, garlic.
TREATS: small quantities, couple of times a week.
frozen veggies, including sliced carrots, zuchinni, blueberries, strawberries, green beans.
Plus the occasional taste of whatever we're eating! And always the last lick of the ice cream bowl.